VMware Cloud Community
spoonuk
Contributor
Contributor

Moving templates between two hosts without shared storage...

Guys, hopefully a quick one...

What's the best way to move my templates from host A to B without shared storage?

WinSCP disconnects quite frequently not allowing me to complete the download, it takes ages anyway as files are fully inflated.

I could use datastore browser but wondering whether my new host will be able to recognise the templates...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adrian

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if you have templates, I assume you have vCenter?  If so, convert the template to a VM, leave it powered of, then cold migrate to the other host.  If  no vCenter, you can convert to a VM, leave powered of and use VMware Converter

0 Kudos
ClaudiaWOODS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Adrian,

Attach a USB drive to your host, migrate the template onto it, remove the template from vCenter inventory.  Move the USB drive to target host, (re)add the template to the inventory, and then migrate the template to other local storage.   When adding the template to inventory, you will probably get a prompt asking if the files were moved or copied.  Be sure to select "moved" so that all pointers get updated appropriately.

Additional information on using an external usb drive with 4.1:

http://www.vladan.fr/plug-in-the-external-usb-drive-to-esx-server-directly-to-backup-or-copy/

HTH,

Claudia

"It's not the load that breaks you down. It's the way you carry it." - Lena Horne
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

convert the VM the ovf download and then upload it on the new host.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

In addition to the 3 other methods - use Veamm FastSCP - it works differently than WinSCP and is MUCH faster.

Although, if WinSCP is disconnecting regularly, you probably have a network problem worth investigating.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

I agree with Troy here - convert to VM (takes 2 seconds), migrate as per normal VM, and then convert back.

FastSCP is my weapon of choice for shifting between hosts that are not on the same VC.

If you have a common VC, then use vMotion / svMotion.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos