VMware Cloud Community
steveh000
Contributor
Contributor

Moving snapshot and working dir to another location, then DR, does vm break

Our vSphere 4, update1 environment is using Equallogic storage arrays for our vmfs volumes. We're using these for asynchronous replication to a dr site. The question is this: If we set up a vm so that its working directory and snapshot location is on a non replicated volume at the prod site, will it break the vm if we have to roll over to the DR site in the event of a disaster?

We want to change the location to help minimize the amount of data replicated across the link between the prod and dr sites. Any feedback would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
edwardob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question for you.

Are you using the a third party snapshot tool to make a clean snap shot that is seperate from the vm?

Or are you using the snapshot tool that is available in viclient connected to virtual center?

If you are using this tool there is no way to seperate the snapshot from the vm, this tool is not designed for DR.

As far as moving the working directory of a vm, you can do that, but you should power down the vm and remove it from inventory, dont delete, remove it. Then move the directory and then register the vm again in that new location. If you move a vm without doing that esx/virtual center will tag it as orphaned.

0 Kudos
steveh000
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, the snapshots are vcb related as we back them up with Backup Exec 12.5 after vcb snapshots them. I wanted to offload these to a non-dr LUN. I normally don't keep viclient snapshots for any longer than I have to because of the length of time it can take to delete them

0 Kudos
edwardob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Then your fine, you can do whatever you want with the vcb created snapshots.

they have nothing to do with the running vm once the snapshot is complete.

0 Kudos
steveh000
Contributor
Contributor

So I move the snapshot location to another lun and not the working directory, correct?

0 Kudos
edwardob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, changing where the snapshots go is fine.

Changing the working directory of the running vm is the dangerous part.

0 Kudos