VMware Cloud Community
DAMahoney
Contributor
Contributor

Moving a virtual machine with multiple HD's and putting HD's into different datastores

I am hoping somebody can help me. I used storage vmotion to move all of my VM's off of one of my SAN's so we could bring it down for maintainence. Maintainence is now complete and I now need to move everything back, but am having issues with the vm's that have multiple hard drives. I want to move the HD's with the OS to one datastore and move the HD's used for file shares into a different datastore. I see no option for splitting up the HD's for servers with multiple HD's (i.e servers with the OS on C and data on D)

Thanks for the help,

Dave

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

When you initiate the SVMotion, using the Migrate Virtual Machine wizard, choose the Advanced >> option on the "Select Datastore" screen. This will allow you to move the VMDKS individually. You can't split the datastores using the "Edit Settings" options.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos