VMware Cloud Community
AcousticMan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrating to new storage system

Trying to figure out the best way to migrate vms to a new storage system. I am using SAS/HBA. I have two SAS ports on each host. Can I connect the host to both storage systems via SAS to move the vms? Should I change the multipathing to fixed? Currently round robin. Unsure how to proceed with this migration.  Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AcousticMan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well I definately over thought this. I don't need the host connected to both storage systems. Vmotion is done through the vmotion network, not SAS, duh.

I setup 1 new host to the new storage and just used vmotion (really wishing I had live storage vmotion) to move the vms. Pretty simple.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AcousticMan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well I definately over thought this. I don't need the host connected to both storage systems. Vmotion is done through the vmotion network, not SAS, duh.

I setup 1 new host to the new storage and just used vmotion (really wishing I had live storage vmotion) to move the vms. Pretty simple.

0 Kudos
JDMils_Interact
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Two ways to do this:

1. Both storage systems are of the same heritage: you can setup LUN replication from storage old to storage new. When you are ready, attach LUNs from storage new to vCenter/hosts, shutdown the virtual servers, remove from inventory then re-add them from the new LUN/datastores. This saves a lot of time in copying from one storage unit to another using say storage vmotion.

2. Attach LUNs from storage new to vCenter/hosts, use storage vmotion to move the virtuals to the new datastores. Takes a lot of time to copy if the servers have a large amount of disks.

The benefit of attaching the new storage unit to the existing vCenter/hosts is that ..... aren't you going to run the virtuals from the new storage unit anyway so its LUNs have to be presented to vCenter/hosts!?

0 Kudos