VMware Cloud Community
TheTechie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrate Linux VM from Server 2.0 to ESXi 4.0

Hi,

I have a VMware Server 2.0 running in windows with a Ubuntu VM Guest of virtual hardware v4. I want to move the this guest VM over to ESXi 4.0 (with virtual Center license).

I know the converter is the ideal method of moving VMs but my understanding is it doesn't support Linux. What the best way to move the VM from VM Server to ESXi? I'm guessing I can just turn off the VM, copy the files over and add to the ESXi host inventory?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

use version 4 of converter.

Turn off the vm.

Point converter to the vmx file.

Tada!

i have converted all manner of linux systems that were supported and unsupported successfully.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It does support linux.

---

MCSA, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
Luckybob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have not migrated anything from Server 2 in awhile, but what you suggested is exactly how I did it. I shutdown the Server 2 Guest VM, copied the files over to my vCenter ESX cluster, then imported the machine using the .vmx file. Depending on you ESX configuration, you can edit all the VM guest setting before you fire it up.

0 Kudos
TheTechie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just tried both ways and so far no success.

Converter:

1. Shut down the Ubuntu virtual machine

2. Ran VMware converter 3.0 against virtual machine

1. Got error message "cannot open the source image" but it still ran.

2. Conversion completed.

3. On ESXi Got errror "File "/vmfs/..." File already has an encoding "UTF-8". Cannot open configuration file"

Copying

1. Copied VM folder onto the datastore

2. Added VM to inventory

3. Got error "Device 'Hard disk 1' has a backing type that is not supported. This is a general limitation of the virtual machine's virtual hardware version on the selected host."

4. Taking a chance I upgraded the hardware version from 4 to 7.

5. Got error "Failed to open disk scsi0:0: unsupported and/or invalid disk type 2. Did you forget to import the disk first?...."

I'm trying to get converter v4 working and then retry with that. Any ideas how I can get this working?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Luckybob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Create a new virtual machine, select "Use Exsisting disk". Select the .vmdk of the VM you want to bring over.

TheTechie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tried creating a new virtual machine and adding the disk, that also didnt' work. First if I tried adding it to a Virtual Machine v4 (which Server says it is) it doesn't see the vmdk file in the datastore to add. If I select v7 it finds the disks and add it. When I try to start the VM I get the following error:

Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported and/or invalid disk type 7. Did you forget to import the disk first?Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0.

I tried switching between BusLogic Parelle & LSI Logic Parallel but I get the same error each time.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

use version 4 of converter.

Turn off the vm.

Point converter to the vmx file.

Tada!

i have converted all manner of linux systems that were supported and unsupported successfully.

0 Kudos
TheTechie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. Per LucasAlbers suggestion I upgraded to converter 4 and it worked perfectly. Server was migrated to ESXi v4 last friday and been running without issues since.

0 Kudos