VMware Cloud Community
4nd7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Memory share values

Hello,

Do you know why the single vm that is at root level has 100% memory shares and no share values are displays for the two resource pools? Each resource pool has one vm in it. Please see attached.

Thank you,

Dan

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

Hey Dan,

That is a strange one. There doesn't seem to be any share value for both of your resource pools. If you right click on one of your resource pools and go to edit settings does it display a share value under either CPU or memory?

Maybe try adjusting the shares to high and then back to medium, or just recreate the pools and see if that does anything.

0 Kudos
4nd7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I first saw this on ESXi 4 where I have modified the priority from Normal to High and the back, but nothing changed. Then I have recreated the same configuration on a ESXi 4.1 and the values displayed at Resource Allocation are the same - 100% memory shares for the vm at the root level.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
4nd7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Do you know where could I address this display behaviour? I doesn't seem right.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I just tested it on my vsphere 4.1 test environment and you can see the result in the attached screenshot. Seems to work just fine. I would recommend to call GSS as this is not standard behavior.

0 Kudos
4nd7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've created a vApp aswell but still the same behaviour. The screenshot is from a ESXi 4.1 32137 running in VMware Workstation 7.1.3.

shares.PNG

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure why this is happening, but I tried it on 3 different environments and couldn't reproduce it.

Duncan

Available now on Amazon: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical deepdive

0 Kudos
4nd7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Duncan,

I first saw it on a production machine with ESXi 4.0 193498.

Is there a way to see how the share distribution will actually be under resource constraint?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, that is "worst case allocation".

Duncan

0 Kudos
4nd7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think that tab is not available in ESXi 4.0. Is there another way to see the "worse case allocation" values?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Yeah it is, check the "Resource Allocation" Tab

Duncan (VCDX)

0 Kudos
4nd7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think it is a problem with the communities site, since I tried for 30 minutes to upload an image and when I pressed "Post message", it ended with a Not found page.

The only things that I can enable in Resource Allocation are:

Name

Reservation - MB

Limit - MB

Shares

Shares Value

% Shares

Type

0 Kudos