VMware Cloud Community
SuperPink
Contributor
Contributor

Limiting the number of concurrent storage vMotions with vCenter 6.0

I have about 100 VMs to migrate to another datastore, but would like to minimise performance impact while doing so by limiting the number of concurrent Storage vMotions to only one, so that I can queue them all up and have them go one at a time.  (default limit is 8).

I found the below guides about how to achieve this, but was written and tested only with ESXi 4,  5 and 5.1 :

Limiting the number of Storage vMotions - frankdenneman.nl

Limiting the number of concurrent vMotions - frankdenneman.nl

vSphere 6 documentation seems to mirror what's Frank's last post:

vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

So I tried adding in config key to my vCenter 6 and ESXi 6 environment like so:

<vpxd>

<ResourceManager>

<maxCostPerEsx41Ds>20</maxCostPerEsx41Ds>

</ResourceManager>

Then restarted vCenter virtual appliance, but was still able to Storage vMotion 3x VMs simultaneously to the same datastore...

I assume key has changed in version 6?  Any ideas?

3 Replies
SuperPink
Contributor
Contributor

Is there anywhere I can get a list of valid vpxd config keys so I can do my own experimentation?

0 Kudos
ASIS_Intl
Contributor
Contributor

16 months later...

I'm looking into this now and have a similar issue to what you are having. While I'm not sure if this will apply to 6.0, I know what you tried no longer is supported in 6.0. Just found another thread https://communities.vmware.com/thread/574098 that answers this question on 6.5 - trying it in my 6.0 environment now, hopefully it works!

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I bumped in to this as well, found out there's a new advanced setting, documented it here:

What happened to MaxCostPerEsx41DS? It doesn't seem to work in vSphere 6.x? - Yellow Bricks