VMware Cloud Community
RobFredette7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Initiating a compute resource vMotion while a storage vMotion is in progress

Hi,

We have a vSphere 6.7 environment with six ESXi 6.7 hosts in two different clusters. 

We have a host with a bad DIMM, and I want to down the host for maintenance. I was just planning on evacuating the host, until I realized that there is a storage vMotion in progress for a 12 TB VM that was initiated about 24 hours ago, and may take another day to complete. 

All our datastores are shared by all hosts. My question is: Is it advisable to initiate a vMotion for this VM to another host, while the storage vMotion is in progress, or would it be best to wait until the VM finishes its migration to another datastore? Any information regarding the ramifications of doing this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken Applebaum.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@RobFredette7 

I don't think you'd be able to initiate a second task against the same VM while the other is in progress.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@RobFredette7 

Moderator: Moved to vMotion & Resource Management Discussions - not specific to vSphere Hypervisor (ie. "free" ESXi)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@RobFredette7 

I don't think you'd be able to initiate a second task against the same VM while the other is in progress.

0 Kudos
RobFredette7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback Scott. 

0 Kudos