VMware Cloud Community
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Enabling DRS causes my cluster to crash

I am having a strange problem. We are using ESX 4 update 2. We have 3 clusters in our datacenter that we cannot enable DRS for. When we enable DRS for these clusters the clusters end up in an endless DRS loop until the entire cluster is useless from guests being moved between hosts. All of our other clusters are ok except for 3. Any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESX™ 4 to vMotion & Resource Management

What automation level are you using in the DRS settings?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert

might sound elementary but can you try to restart the vCenter server service and see if it helps. Also check the automation level of the cluster as mentioned above...

0 Kudos
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

I would strongly recommend to submit an SR to VMware as this sounds like a vCenter is experiencing problems.

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the response. My cluster DRS automation level is set to full. It is interesting that you bring up Virtual Center server. VMware support looked at virtual center and did not find anything. Then again, we upgraded from version 4.0 to version 4.1 of virtual center recently. So this may have solved the problem. Currently DRS has been re-enabled for the clusters in question and no problems have been observed yet. It has been about 4 days.

0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert

Glad to hear you manage to fix it and thanks for reporting back your findings Smiley Happy

0 Kudos