VMware Cloud Community
zzumbaugh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4.0 Vmotion howto?

I'm running ESXi 4.0 with two hosts. I have several servers on each host. They are both using the same shared storage. I read through the ESX manual and have configured VMkernel port adapters, but I still cannot do a live migration between the hosts. VMotion is showing as enabled on both hosts. The documentation as far as I can tell does not really have a step by step list on how to configure vmotion and I have not fared well going through the forums, Google, etc on finding an easy to follow guide. Is there anything out there that lists a concise step by step on how to set up vmotion?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

RE: "The virtual machine must be powered off to perform this function"

It always says this under the 'Change both host and datastore' option. That option is 'Storage VMotion'. The message isn't related to VMotion.

You should have the 'Change host' option available. This option is 'VMotion'. It should not have that message directly below it. You should be able to select 'Vmotion' and select Next. Is the 'Next' button or 'Change Host' greyed out?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Here's a good link -

jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What is the problem that is occuring.

Normally when you initiate VMotion it provides some messages that will indicated if VMotion isn't supported in the current configuration? If you get one of those messages what is it? About storage? About networking?

Or is it starting the VMotion process then failing?

For setting up VMkernel interface:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_esx_server_config.pdf

Other than that

Are the two hosts the same hardware model and CPU type - if not you need to check CPU compatibility

All VM disks on shared storage - as you indicated

Port Group(s) the VM connects to exist on the destination host - make sure you've named them exactly the same on both hosts

Disconnect CD-ROM drive

I can't think of much else. It usually doesn't take much to set up and if something's incorrect it will usually produce a message indicating what part of the config needs work.

zzumbaugh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I saw that link before but didn't pursue it since it required registration. I took a look and that is exactly how I already configured my hosts. I deleted the VMKernels on both hosts and did them again, and it still does not work. When I right click on a VM and click Migrate, it says "The virtual machine must be powered off to perform this function" at the bottom of the Migrate Virtual Machine window. Not sure what the problem is.

0 Kudos
zzumbaugh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

jbogardus, I'm not even able to try vmotion. When I go to migrate, it says "The virtual machine must be powered off to perform this function". I set up the VMKernel interface exactly how it is in the manual, but I still can't do a live migration.

The two hosts are exactly the same hardware down to every last detail.

VM disks are the same SAN.

Port groups are named the same on both hosts.

CD-ROM is not connected on the VM when I try to migrate.

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Do you have the licensing enabled for VMotion? What version of VCenter are you running? - Sorry, I'll clarify that by this I really mean edition of ESX licensing which enables the VCenter functionality such as VMotion.

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In the configuration tab for the host select 'Licensed Features'. Confirm VMotion is listed there.

0 Kudos
zzumbaugh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmotion is listed under Licensed Features for both hosts.

I'm running VMWare Vcenter Server 4.0.0, 162856

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It always says this under the 'Change both host and datastore' option. That option is 'Storage VMotion'. The message isn't related to VMotion.

You should have the 'Change host' option available. This option is 'VMotion'. It should not have that message directly below it. You should be able to select 'Vmotion' and select Next. Is the 'Next' button or 'Change Host' greyed out?

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It always says this under the 'Change both host and datastore' option. That option is 'Storage VMotion'

0 Kudos
zzumbaugh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You're right. I totally misread the menu. DUH! Thanks for the time!

0 Kudos
Dr_No2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dont feel bad......It is a really dumb way to display an error. I was fooled myself.

:smileycool:

0 Kudos