VMware Cloud Community
bwienhold
Contributor
Contributor

Disable EVC settings?

I have a cluster with four esx 4.0 hosts with EVC enabled because the 4th server has a newer processor. The 4th server has since been removed from the cluster and I would like to disable EVC on the cluster.

1. Can I simply disable EVC on the cluster?

2. Will host reboots be required?

3. Will this have any negative impact on the VMs in the cluster?

Thanks in advance,

Bernie

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander

EVC is a cluster configuration that is applied to ESX hosts similar to DRS and HA. Just like DRS and HA, EVC can be disabled and does not require a host reboot. In addition, this should have no impact on the existing VMs. One thing to note is that EVC settings do not take effect on a VM unless the VM is powered off and then powered on (a reboot is not sufficient). As such, any features you may gain after disabling EVC will not take effect until the VM is powered off and then back on.

The references section of the VMware KB article provides more information: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/4309499

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

If the 4th server had a newer cpun then why would you need to disable EVC since it is already at the level ofvthevother 3 servers?

I think you should consider leaving EVC on.

-Mattg

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
thehyperadvisor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would second the recommedation by MattG. There is no need to disable EVC in my opinion since it is probably set for the cpu level of the 3 remaining esx hosts anyway. Then there is the flexibility of being able to add another esx host with higher cpu family to the cluster without having to shutdown the vm guests to enable evc again.

hope this helps - thehyperadvisor.com

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

VCP3,4,5, VCAP4-DCA, vExpert hope this helps - http://www.thehyperadvisor.com If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos