VMware Cloud Community
Internetrx
Contributor
Contributor

Data Center Migration Strategy

If I can be pointed to some material to come up with a migration strategy it would be much appreciated.

Scenario:

I have a customer that has to evacuate a DC. They have 4 hospitals attached - so little or no downtime is required. They're new target DC is 50mi away, and will be connected via 100Gbps link with VXLAN to extend L2.

Customer has vCenter 7,x with two clusters. 1500 VMs - CIFS/NAS, iSCSI attached storage

Hardware is Cisco UCS Flexpod

Storage is NetApp- - 5 arrays, 2 of them provide FC via Cisco MDS switches and fabric interconnects. All 5 also provide CIFS/NFS.

I have read about vmigration via vCenter Stretch Cluster/NetApp Metro Cluster. I have also read about SRM/NetApp Metro Cluster. Can I get high level overview of how both would work, and which provides the least downtime/risk?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
battybishop
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would reach out to your VMware Account Manager for getting additional help in understanding the different solutions you have just mentioned. They may also be able to help you with contact of  people who have performed a similar move for similar customers.

0 Kudos