VMware Cloud Community
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

DRS setting question.

One of my cluster DRS is set to “Partially Automated” and often I notice under summary it says Load Imbalanced, and gives recommendation to move VM’s to Balance the load.  My question is if I don’t move them, beside performance, would this impact anything else? Should I change DRS config to “Fully Automated” .. any suggestions would be great… -- thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have never had any issues with moving stuff around including SQL servers.  If you are worried about it you can set any particular VM to not move by editing the Cluster settings, VMware DRS, Virtual machine options, and setting the individual VM to manual.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I can't think of anything else besides performance that it may affect.  DRS is designed to determine the optimal location for a VM to run so with that in mind I always leave mine at Fully Automated.   

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Note: This discussion was moved from the VMware ESXi 4 community to the vMotion & Resource Management community.

Is there a specific reason you have DRS set to partially automated to begin with?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Since it is set to 'Partially Automated', it will not move your VMs around for you (other than suggestions). It's usually best to let DRS do its magic unless you have a good reason not to, but as you mentioned the only downsides are performance and your cluster will be imbalanced.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

But let me ask you this, if i change the setting to "fully automated" so it will be moving our critical database servers itself, would that not cause any problem? such as drop a ping or etc?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have never had any issues with moving stuff around including SQL servers.  If you are worried about it you can set any particular VM to not move by editing the Cluster settings, VMware DRS, Virtual machine options, and setting the individual VM to manual.  

0 Kudos