VMware Cloud Community
NHATech
Contributor
Contributor

Converter and mixed VSphere and 3.5 environment

We have started a upgrade from Virtual Center 2/ESX3.5 to VSphere 4.

We have the Virtual Center server upgraded but have not yet upgraded the servers.

The reason we have not yet upgraded the servers is because we are running Dell diskless esx3i servers and as of now there isn't a upgrade package available. We did not want to have to re-configure each server by doing a fresh install so we are waiting for the upgrade package that is promised.

In any case, the problem we are having is that we are unable to use the Vm Converter. I have tried the Enterprise as well as the stand alone version, and it always fails with some strange error. I'm wondering if the problem is due to not having any esx4 hosts.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

are you using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0.1? It is compatible with vSphere

0 Kudos
NHATech
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I am using that version with no success. I suspect that the problem is due to still having esx3i hosts.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you tried installing converter on the machine in which you want to convert? ESXi is a supported source and destination for 4.0.1

what type of errors are you getting?

0 Kudos
NHATech
Contributor
Contributor

Ok,

I have found a work around for this.

I am using the stand alone converter but instead of pointing to the virtual centre/vsphere server as the destination, I am pointing to one of the host servers. The migration completes fine and the new VM shows up in the management console where I can complete the migration.

0 Kudos