VMware Cloud Community
AhhhOK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cold Cross vCenter vMotion slower than Hot Cross vCenter Motion

I will try to keep this simple though I have done a bit of testing and could describe in more detail if needed.  I am seeing the throughput of of Cold Cross vCenter vMotion (not shared storage) slower than Hot Cross vCenter Motion (not shared storage).   And not just slower, more like 3 or more X's slower. 

This is contrary to what I expected to see.  I expected to see cold vmotions to be faster.  Any simple explanation for this?  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How did you configure the network/VMkernel port groups?
Maybe https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2019/12/hot-and-cold-migrations-which-network-is-used.html helps.

André

0 Kudos
AhhhOK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Keep in mind these vMotions include moving the disk data across non shared storage.

Both Source and Destination hosts have Management vmk0 on the same L2 subnet (Call it Subnet A ESXI Management) using Default TCP/IP Stack

Both Source and Destination hosts have vMotion vmk1 on the same L2 Subnet (Call it Subnet B vMotion Network) Default TCP/IP Stack

Separate subnets for the traffic but both hosts using same subnets for each service.  

Test 1

Initially I had vmk0 for the Management Service and vmk1 for vMotion service on both my source and destination hosts.  What I saw was cold vMotion traffic all flowed through vmk0 which was expected as Frank Denneman explained the difference between hot and cold data in this article.

https://frankdenneman.nl/2013/02/07/why-is-vmotion-using-the-management-network-instead-of-the-vmoti...

"vmotion is used for performance-related content (aka hot data/live vmotion) and (cold data/cold vmotion) is migrated via Network File Copy via Management vmk0"

So I was not surprised to see the traffic going out vmk0 when looking at ESXTOP however the speed was slow.  300 - 500 MbTX/s coming from source host and similar MbRX/s speeds on destination host.

Same config with a live vMotion showed the traffic going out the vmk1 (vMotion) adapter at speeds of 2000 - 4000 mbTX/s coming from source host and similar MbRX/s speeds on destination host.

Test 2

Had me turn on the Provisioning service on vmk1 on both hosts so now vMotion and Provisioning are running on vmk1 (Subnet B vMotion Network).

Results there were that now cold vMotion Network File Copy (cold data/cold vMotion) by-passed vmk0 and went out Source host and back in Destination host via vmk1 but again with the same slower speeds than a live vMotion.  

So why?  Being that both Hot and Cold vMotions are pulling all the disk data from Source host storage and migrating it to a destination host storage why is cold migration slower?  Is this expected?  

0 Kudos