VMware Cloud Community
MrBigFeathas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you VMotion between ESXi 4 host and ESXi 4 Update 1 host?

I have a 2 node VMotion, HA cluster. Identical machines running ESXi 4. I want to use update manager to patch them to update 1. If I VMotion all my VMs onto one host, then update the other on its own will I be able to VMotion the VMs onto the updated host from the not yet updated host? Then Update the second host.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no problem in doing what you describe - it is supported -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no problem in doing what you describe - it is supported -

0 Kudos
karavinds1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes it is possible. However we need to ensure the vmtools are updated after the patch is installed. Otherwise the VMs would start misbehaving.

Regards,

Aravind K

Regards, Aravind K If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

it's supported indeed and I guess everyone does this when upgrading/updating their environment.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

HMUSA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent question.  I was about to ask the same myself.  Good to know.  Great forum.

thx

0 Kudos