VMware Cloud Community
JimBernsteinSV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can’t vMotion between 2 different sets of hosts

We have a Bladcenter with management IPs of 10.1.42.x and vMotion IPs of 10.1.47.x with a 10.1.42 gateway.

Then we have standalone hosts with management IPs of 10.1.43.x and vMotion IPs of 10.1.48.x with a 10.1.43 gateway.

To make it easier to see (hopefully)

Bladecenter hosts                             Standalone hosts

Mgmt .42                                            Mgmt .43       

vMotion .47                                         vMotion .48

Gateway .42                                       Gateway .43

I know I can’t vMotion between the 2 because they have to be on the same subnet but when I change a Bladecenter host vMotion IP from .47 to .48 it still doesn’t work. Is there something else that needs to be changed? I can vMotion a VM while it’s off between the 2 without changing any IP settings but not while it’s running.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... but when I change a Bladecenter host vMotion IP from .47 to .48 it still doesn’t work.

Just a quick question, did you also modify the physical switch settings to ensure the vMotion vmnics are in the same VLAN? Did you check connectivity via vmkping?

Btw. cold migration (i.e. moving a VM while powered off) doesn't use the vMotion network.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JimBernsteinSV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Both sets of hosts are in the same datacenter and managed by the same vCenter server.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... but when I change a Bladecenter host vMotion IP from .47 to .48 it still doesn’t work.

Just a quick question, did you also modify the physical switch settings to ensure the vMotion vmnics are in the same VLAN? Did you check connectivity via vmkping?

Btw. cold migration (i.e. moving a VM while powered off) doesn't use the vMotion network.

André

0 Kudos
JimBernsteinSV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bingo there is the answer! I knew I was just overlooking something simple. The physical switch ports are not on the same VLAN. I was also just thinking too that the CPU difference between the Bladecenter hosts and the standalone hosts will probably be too different for live vMotion to work anyway. Its going to be a one time move since we are retiring the Bladecenter so I guess Ill just have to shut down the VMs to move them. Thanks for making me see the light!

0 Kudos