VMware Cloud Community
Baseliner35
Contributor
Contributor

CPU Mismatch

Hi, I have a CPU mismatch problem when trying to move VM's between my AMD Servers (all fine) and a recently added Intel box. I understand that the issue can be addressed by Overriding the CPU masks BUT even following a very precise article (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1993), I'm not able to progress because not sure how to identify the CPU in terms of it's VMotion CPU compatibility Group (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1991). The CPU is an Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2180  @ 2.00GHz but how that relates to the VMotion tables, I'm unsure ?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You can't VMotion between Intel and AMD processors.   You will only be able to do a cold migration between different CPU manufactures. 

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

As indicated you can not vmotion between different CPU manufacturers

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Baseliner35
Contributor
Contributor

Not too fussed about VMotion but also cannot do cold migration either ?

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The cold, you can.
You turn off the VM, remove the inventory in the inventory and add the other if necessary.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

A cold migration should work with no problems.  

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You should be able to cold migrate - what error do you get? What is the operating system of the VM? Windows should not be a problem but there are some Linux kernels that are tied to the CPU -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Baseliner35
Contributor
Contributor

If I try and remove the VM from the AMD Host Inventory and add it to Intel Host Inventory and then start the VM, I get

"Host CPU is incompatible with the virtual machines's requirments at CPUID level 0x80000001 'edx' Host bits 0000:0000:0001:0000:0000:1000:0000:0000 Required xx1x:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx Mismatch detected for these features: * Longmode; required when a virtual machine is configured for a 64bit guest OS. For systems with Intel CPU's, enabling VT in the BIOS is required for longmode support. For incompatibilities other than NC/XD or Longmode: If Possible, use a cluster with Enhanced vMotion Compatability (EVC) enabled: see KB article 1003212. In the abscence of EVC, see KB article 1993.

I get the sam error if I try and migrate from AMD to Intel Host.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Have you gone into the bios of the intel server and enabled all of the advanced CPU features for virtualization?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
Baseliner35
Contributor
Contributor

I've logged a call with ASUS because I cannot see what BIOS setiings would allow the CPU to be VT enabled but in the meantime, I would also like to try to edit the CPU mask on the VM but not sure of the classification of CPU, that the Intel E2180 matches - i.e.

-          - Without SSE3, without XD (execute Disable), or

-          - With SSE3, without XD

-          - With SSE3 and XD

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to VMTN forums. Your thread was moved from VMware Go and VMware Go Pro to vMotion & Resource Management.

Thank you,

Alex

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would not mess with masks. It isn't necessary if you cold migrate. You must shut down the guest to cold migrate. Pausing the VM captures the memory state which will not translate moving between hosts.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
bckirsch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure in the bios support for Intel VT is enabled...that is what is needed for the 64bit operation.

0 Kudos