VMware Cloud Community
vvijays
Contributor
Contributor

After vMotion VM Mac Address has been changed

Hi

Recently we start updating vSphere 5.1 to 5.5 .

Initially to start the activity , we migrated all VMs from ESX006 to ESX0032 , and started the upgrade activity 5.1 to 5.5 on ESX006 . Then we started vmotion from ESX032 to ESX006 ,  some of the VMs migrated successfully , Finally One VM has been migrated successfully but it unreachable from the network , All the VMs has 4 vNics . Following troubleshooting has been done from our end .

VM OS - RHEL 5.5

vNics - 4Nos

1.VM tools Restarted - helpless

2.VM restarted - Helpless

3.VM tools Updated - Helpless .

Finally we noticed that the MAC Address has been changed , vNic MAC assigned to vNic3 , vNic2 MAC has been assigned to vNic3 , Likewise all vNic MAC address has been interchanged. Then We requested  OS team to change the MAC Address and the network communication has been started .

Unfortunately Kernel log is not captured due to some other fCoe issue.

vMotion wont change the MAC address , but  can you please anyone , tell me how this will happens . I couldnt find any article or any forum questions like this issue .

0 Kudos
6 Replies
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

this not the first time I heard about this problem, but personally I didn't meet this issue yet; but surfing the web I see this article that seems interesting: Virtual Machine MAC Addresses | Another vSphere Blog

Please could you post a detailed movement (path and location) about this VM?

0 Kudos
vvijays
Contributor
Contributor

Detailed information means , do you need storage path  information ?

I Did vmotion only , not Storage vmotion .

0 Kudos
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Path means VM object in vSphere environment, this includes folder, resource pool and storage. If I understood VM movement were:

1. VM in host ESX006

2. VM vMotion in host ESX032

3. Host ESX006 upgrade

4. VM vMotion ESX006

5. VM restart vmware tools

6. VM restart

7. VM Vmware tools upgrade

Which is the step you notice the problem? Seems you run temporary in a MAC address conflict resolved changing MAC address after a VM restart.

How many VMs are in this vCenter? Are all connected on the same vswitch?

0 Kudos
vvijays
Contributor
Contributor

Which is the step you notice the problem? - After vmtools update

How many VMs are in this vCenter? - 200 VMs

Are all connected on the same vswitch? Yes , Using dVswitch

0 Kudos
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think you run in a mac address conflict...I notice this event on my vcenter only after upgrade and restart.

0 Kudos
vvijays
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your information .

0 Kudos