VMware Cloud Community
mitch1234
Contributor
Contributor

Adding a disperate esx host to vcenter with an existing vxrail cluster

Hi Everyone, 

Brand new on the communities space, so forgive me if this post is incorrectly tagged. 

We have a vxrail cluster managed by vCenter. We have a VM on our cluster that has a much larger (thin provisioned) vmdk than is necessary and we would like to reclaim ~800GB by shrinking the disk file with "vmkfstools -K". The problem however, is that vsan doesnt seem to have a -flat.vmdk that i can see across any of the listed datastores, so i was thinking of migrating the VM to another esx host with a traditional iscsi datastore, to then perform the "vmkfstools -K" operation. 

Personally, ive never added another esx host to a vcenter environemnt and was wondering if simply creating another datacenter and adding the disperate esx host would allow me to vmotion across the VM. This disperate esx host is simply running standalone vsphere (vSphere 7 Essentials) and is currently not managed by any vcenter instance and after the migration, if possible, will be removed from vcenter and be a standalone esx host again.  

Im just worried about "breaking" anything related to the vSan/vxrail setup, and how DRS will beave with having a new datacenter/esx host. 

Our vcenter is a vCenter Server 7 Standard license SKU. 

Appreciate any help. 

Cheers

0 Kudos
0 Replies