VMware Cloud Community
Steve2point0
Contributor
Contributor

10Gb vMotion - 9000 MTU on vSwitch, 8982 MTU on Port Group Limit

Hello all,

We've been doing some testing for a new infrastructure. We're using 10Gb ethernet (Force 10's) and we noticed something very strange.

Per Scott Lowe's blog I was pretty sure you would set the MTU to 9000 on both the vSwitch and the Port Group

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2009/05/21/vmware-vsphere-vds-vmkernel-ports-and-jumbo-frames/

However, what we noticed was that if we went over 8982 MTU on the port group vMotion failed. We were able to reproduce this time and time again.

I'm not sure why VMware would have this limitation. I know the MTU on the FOrce10 switch isn't the issue because we can actually turn that all the way up to a 12,000 MTU. This seems something related to VMware specifically.

Any thoughts our ideas?

Thank you kindly,

Steven

0 Kudos
4 Replies
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

Hi Steven,

Please file a bug with support as this should work.

What is the MTU size of the switch port connected to the vMotion NIC?

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series
Steve2point0
Contributor
Contributor

The port is connected to a Force10 10/40Gb ethernet switch with a MTU set at 12,000.

Shouldn't be any issues there.

0 Kudos
malevopfgm
Contributor
Contributor

Steven have you resolved the issue ?

Regards, Pablo

0 Kudos
Steve2point0
Contributor
Contributor

We were seeing it in our lab environment. We have since built it out in a production environment and we were not seeing the issue there. We were never able to figure out what was causing it, it was very strange. Are you experiencing the same issue?

0 Kudos