VMware Cloud Community
tschmi1988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

mail error & no production mode

Hi.

I have just installed a completely new installation of the vCloud Usage Meter 3.6.0.1 Build 6552112, but by the first configuration I got the following error message:

Unable to send an email because of a non-existing recipient email address.

I can't go ahead because with this error I can't klick on save.

I have already tried to reinstall the Usage Meter again. But then I got the message, that the Usage Meter is not in the production mode.

1. How can I change the test mode into production mode?

2. How can I resolv the mail problem? There is no possibility to enter an receipent email address and my email address on the first page is correct.

Thanks, best regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anders_s
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wireshark to the rescue. Email is sent to the address configured on the provider tab and also to um-reports@vmware.com so it needs relay permission to vmware.com

View solution in original post

6 Replies
vinayag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Please configure an outgoing email server, so that vCloud Usage Meter can send emails.

Reference doc : Configuring Email Settings

Steps to be followed,

In Email Page,

1. Provide SMTP Host details.

2. Clicks Send Email button.

Thanks,

Vinayaga.

Thanks, Vinayaga.
tschmi1988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks for the answer. But here is the problem: When I click the button "send email" I get the error message.

regards

0 Kudos
vinayag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

• Could you please confirm, whether your SMTP server has permission to send emails to outside network (VMware)?

If you are configuring a vCloud Usage Meter instance in an environment with no access to Internet, consider the following best practices:

• Make sure that your mail server can relay messages from the service provider email address, using either authenticated or unauthenticated SMTP.
  • If your mail server requires authentication, use encryption.
  • Verify the SMTP port number that is assigned to your mail server.

Thanks,

Vinayaga.

Thanks, Vinayaga.
anders_s
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem in build 7359407. It won't let me save mail server until it has succeded in sending email. It can't send send email until recipient is configured but it won't let me configure recipient until mail server is configured! Assuming recipient email address configuration is under "Email Alerts" that is greyed out,

0 Kudos
anders_s
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wireshark to the rescue. Email is sent to the address configured on the provider tab and also to um-reports@vmware.com so it needs relay permission to vmware.com

vinayag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

In Usage Meter, Please do Configure the Outgoing Email Server settings. (Manager--> Email).

To send emails to VMware, it is mandatory to configure host name and port number (default: 25).

Steps to be followed,

1. In Manage-->Email Page,
  2. Provide valid SMTP Host server details.
  3. To verify the email settings, click Send email.
  4. (Optional) If necessary, select Connection Security from the drop-down.
  5. (Optional) If you require authentication for the outgoing email server, enter a User name and Password.
  6. Click Save.

Note:

In case of wrong configuration of SMTP host, Usage Meter throws an error message "Unable to send an email because of either wrong configuration of SMTP host or network error. Please update Outgoing Email Server settings or check your network settings.".

Thanks, Vinayaga.
0 Kudos