VMware Cloud Community
gb76534567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset -- Make sure you select a port with SSL

I'm having an issue configuring Usage Meter 3.6.1 to a vCenter server.

Port TCP 443 is open from UM to the vCenter server and the vCenter server certificate is valid and the hostname I am using in usage meter is in the SAN of the SSL certificate

This is the full error:

• There was a problem checking the certificate for HOSTNAME:443. java.net.SocketException: Connection reset -- Make sure you select a port with SSL

Many thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vinayag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

1. Able to Ping vCenter Server from Usage meter ?
  2. Might be DNS issue, Usage meter unable to resolve vCenter Server Hostname.

Please add vCenter Server FQDN entry in host file of vCloud Usage meter server.

Thanks, Vinayaga.
0 Kudos
gb76534567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Yes, I can confirm that I can ping and also the hostname is in the hosts file and is resolving on the UM server

0 Kudos
walemark
Contributor
Contributor

Connection reset socket error occurs when the opponent is forcibly terminated without calling close(). This  simply means that a TCP RST was received. TCP RST packet is that the remote side telling you the connection on which the previous TCP packet is sent is not recognized, maybe the connection has closed, maybe the port is not open, and something like these. A reset packet is simply one with no payload and with the RST bit set in the TCP header flags. There are several possible causes.

• The other end has deliberately reset the connection, in a way which I will not document here. It is rare, and generally incorrect, for application software to do this, but it is not unknown for commercial software.
  • More commonly, it is caused by writing to a connection that the other end has already closed normally. In other words an application protocol error.
  • It can also be caused by closing a socket when there is unread data in the socket receive buffer.
0 Kudos