VMware Cloud Community
eswing
Contributor
Contributor

Zimbra Credentials

I am trying to setup Zimbra on vCloud Usage Meter.  I have tried to enter the Zimbra admin, but that does not seem to work.  If I enter a Linux user, that seems to be accepted, but it never reports any usage.  I have tried the root, zimbra, and another Linux user with the same results.

What user credentials should be used for Zimbra monitoring and what rights or configuration is required for that user?

I can find nothing in the documentation other than "enter userid"

Any information would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi. Usage Meter 3.1 logs into your Zimbra server with ssh, using the Linux user credentials you supply, and then issues this command:

su - zimbra -c '/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmhspreport'

It might be useful to have you try that yourself, from the Usage Meter shell (or perhaps elsewhere), and see if you get back something reasonable.

0 Kudos
eswing
Contributor
Contributor

It prompts for a password, after entering the password then it responds with the proper information.

I am guessing it is getting hung at the password prompt, but have no idea how to get rid of that.

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 with Zimbra 8.0.4

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think we are assuming you will provide the root password for the Zimbra server (which we didn’t say, I know.)

0 Kudos
eswing
Contributor
Contributor

I got it to work.  Not only did I have to supply the root password, I had to enable root the ability to login via ssh.  So it seems this will only work as root, seems bad for security.  I would suggest the documentation reflect the root requirement.

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you able to log in as the zimbra user, and then issue that command without the su, i.e., /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmhspreport? Perhaps that’s what Usage Meter should be doing. We will correct this in the next version.

0 Kudos
rputzler
Contributor
Contributor

That would be substantially better, our security policies dictate that root is never be allowed to login remotely.  If you don't go down the zimbra user approach, then you should accommodate for the use of "sudo" by an unprivileged user. 

sudo su - zimbra -c '/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmhspreport'

Why does zmhspreport include closed accounts? Shouldn't it only count "active", "locked", "pending" and "maintenance" statuses?

0 Kudos