VMware Cloud Community
phildw
Contributor
Contributor

Usage meter not recording after vCentre upgrade to 5.1

We upgraded our vCenter servers to 5.1 and since then the usage meter (v3.0.2) has been unable to login.

Message is: "A collection from x.x.x.x, begun at 2013-05-06 12:05:01, failed at 2013-05-06 12:05:09. com.vmware.vim25.InvalidLoginFaultMsg: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password"

I can login with same credentials to each vCenter servers with the VMware client.

The 3 monitored hosts still show as v 5.0.0 under the Manage/Products TAB.  I have tried deleteing all 3 servers and re-adding, but all I get is a message that says do I wan't to reactivate, and the servers come back in the old state.

Anyway I can get the collections working again?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi. If you haven’t done this already, would you please edit each of the vCenter Servers on the Manage Page/Products Tab, and enter username/password combinations that you know to work via the vSphere client.

If the servers are really at the same IP address/TCP hostname and allow the same username/passwords, then I can’t see how this could be happening.

Dave Briccetti

Lead Usage Meter Developer

phildw
Contributor
Contributor

Tried various syntax's with the username.  Domain\User was the one that finally worked.  The existing credentials that were working previously just didn't work anymore.  Neither did the User@Domain syntax.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

The reason for this is that vCenter 5.1 introduced SSO.  It'll be best practice to provide a Domain\Username for credentials, as this will tell SSO what Domain claim rule to follow.

If you haven't done so already, you may need to do this with other VMware applications connecting to that vCenter which was upgraded.

0 Kudos