VMware Cloud Community
secdog
Contributor
Contributor

Usage Meter 3.0 Rules not working (Inventory node fails to expand; rules not applied)

When I log into the usage meter and go to the rules tab, the vcenter inventory never fully populates all the vcenter servers.  Only 1 of my two vcenter servers populates so I can not create rules.  To get around this I attempted to use the API to create the rules, but even then the rule is created but no vms are mapped.   I verfied in the usage meter database that the arguments for the rule creation are correct.

Please advise on how I get the usage meter working.  Is there any debug I can enable to help troubleshoot this problem?

Message was edited by: dbriccetti: Expanded the title for better skimming/searching

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
secdog
Contributor
Contributor

Using the API I found that out of 2200 rules that I loaded, the API generated a rule entry in the database for each one but does not always generate a vm mapping.   The data being used appears to be correct, but only a portion of the time does the mapping entry get added to the database.   There must be some logic as to when a mapping does not get added but the rule does.  Can anyone shed some light into this?  

This would at least give me a work around until such time as the Usage Meter fixed.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you create an SR on this and message back what the SR number is so we can work on this internally?

The first issue you mentioned about having a vCenter Server not show up in the rules is something that we should look at and might contribute to the second.  There is the option to reduce the tree depth on first load to help speed up presentation.  That functionality is there for customers who have a large number of objects under their vCenter Server or are running an older version of the browser.  This does not appear to be the case with your environment since a vCenter Server is not showing up entirely.

The second issue you have with the rules not being created I would like to believe is connected to the first issue with the vCenter Server not showing up.  The rule should be in the database unless it is not well formed, but you would have a response back if it wasn't.  If the rule was created and no VMs, that is where I would like to see how the vCenter Server behavior is involved.

What time zone are you in for a webex to resolve this once the SR is opened?

0 Kudos
secdog
Contributor
Contributor

Central Time Zone.   I will create an SR momentarily.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi. Does the Monitor page show that you are collecting from both vCenter Servers? If not, there may be helpful clues in /var/log/usgmtr/um.log.

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For those following along, I’ll share the latest observations. Expanding the tree node results in an Ajax call which fails. It can be seen in a browser debugging tool by monitoring the network activity and looking at the response to the Ajax request. There is a stack trace in there, which I am now studying.

0 Kudos