VMware Cloud Community
TChitwood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade process 2.2 to 2.3 in vCloud Usage Meter?

I saw a post a couple of weeks ago that an upgrade package was on the way.  Is there an expected availability date yet?  We are currently using 2.2, is it Ok if we wait until the upgrade is available rather than install an new appliance?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NiloPozo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I had the same issue and for me the problem was solved with this KB:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203296...

Best regards.

View solution in original post

30 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We are still working on some documentation from the changes that were made in this patch update.  The update should be out within the next few days and a post will be made to the communities forum once released.

0 Kudos
TChitwood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

From a usage reporting perspective to VMWare are we Ok to remain on 2.2?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

FYI

Here are temporary links to download the Usage Meter version 2.3.2 files.  Note that these will be available on the ftpsite for roughly 48 hours or when capacity needs to be freed up on the ftpsite.

Release notes for version 2.3.2 (including upgrade steps)

http://ftpsite.vmware.com/download/um232/release-notes.html

In place upgrade file from version 2.2 to 2.3.2
http://ftpsite.vmware.com/download/um232/usage-meter-232-update.zip

Full OVA for new appliance installation
http://ftpsite.vmware.com/download/um232/vCloudUsageMeter-2.3.2.0-692054_OVF10.ova

Thread will be updated again when the normal download site is functioning again.

Best Regards,

Jon Hemming

0 Kudos
MartinSvec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello, I've just tried in-place upgrade of 2.2.0 to 2.3.2 according to 2.3.2 release notes, but no collected samples were migrated after pressing "Migrate Version 2.2 Data" button in webapp. The migration successfully populated Manage Page settings, but all reports now contain only samples that were newly collected after the upgrade. Is migration of historic data from 2.2.0 to 2.3.2 unsupported or do I miss something? At the end of migration, appliance log contains "db.V22To23Migrator$: Migrating samples" from which I guess that the migration of historic samples should work?

Migration log:

* Migrating Manage Page information

* Collecting license, host, and VM information from vCenter server(s)

* Starting: Collecting but not saving samples

* Ending: Collecting but not saving samples

* Migrating samples

Thank you

Martin

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Martin, sorry about the trouble. Are you interested in getting into this with us, via WebEx? We would like to know what happened. Sometime in the next couple of hours, perhaps?

Dave Briccetti

dbriccetti@vmware.com

0 Kudos
TChitwood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have run into exact same problem as Martin

0 Kudos
TChitwood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I am available until 5pm eastern

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Martin, thanks for helping us collect diagnostic information from your Usage Meter. We will solve this as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
MartinSvec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're welcome, Dave. Hope the dumps will help you, it looks like a duplicate UUID in unique column 😉

0 Kudos
amorison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm that I have seen exactly the same problem with our setup..

Look forward to a speedy fix..

Andrew - Techno Phobia.

0 Kudos
SLTNServices
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We've seen the same issue at several of our customers sites. Luckily we had taken snapshots of the VM's so we reverted to 2.2

0 Kudos
bryan_williams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also experiencing the same issue as Martin. The company and licensing information migrate successfully, but the samples do not migrate. I see the same status in the Support page. I am migrating from v2.2 to 2.3.2 using the in-place upgrade script.

• Migrating Manage Page information
  • Collecting license, host, and VM information from vCenter server(s
  • )Starting: Collecting but not saving samples
  • Ending: Collecting but not saving samples
  • Migrating samples
0 Kudos
amorison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are there any further updates to this? ETA on it being fixed? Can't move until this is fixed!

Andrew

0 Kudos
lazyllama
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We've had the same issue. The upgrade goes to the "Migrating Samples" and never actually seems import them.

Looking through the postegres database logs, I see:

2012-05-21 10:39:29 BST usage_meter_db postgres ERROR:  insert or update on tabl
e "Host" violates foreign key constraint "HostFK6"
2012-05-21 10:39:29 BST usage_meter_db postgres DETAIL:  Key (vcServerId)=(0) is
not present in table "VcServer".
2012-05-21 10:39:29 BST usage_meter_db postgres STATEMENT:  insert into "Host" (
"id", "licenseId", "uuid", "moref", "dnsName", "vcServerId", "memSize") values (
nextval('"s_Host_id"'),$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6) RETURNING "id"

Postgres still lists the "um22" database as existing and taking 2GB of disk.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to resume the import later?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe that the current expected function is that the data migration should be done immediately, not delayed.

If you wait and migrate later, it will not merge the current 2.3.2 data with old 2.2.0 data.  It will probably dump the current DB and transfer data ... so you will have a gap in data from when the upgrade was done until the data migration was completed.

This is why it's critical to migrate immediately, or revert in case of failure.

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Jon, new info: We have decided to change the migrator to deal with the situation where collections are made between the time the VM is patched and the migration is successfully run. We will preserve those collections made during that time. Should be ready in a day or two.

0 Kudos
lazyllama
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excellent news.

I hope that'll mean the SR I just filed will be more straightforward to deal with Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

bric,

I was just stating how it works currently, but good to know Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
SLTNServices
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution