VMware Cloud Community
GunniO
Contributor
Contributor

Unmapped VMs

Hi vcloud usage meter users,

I got a question on vcloud usage meter 3.0 (existed in previous versions as well)

Is there any way to get rid of "old" vms showing up in vcloud usage meter unmapped vm`s rules view?

I think they show up because I might need to perform some virtualcenter database cleanup?

Oh and by the way, is there a chance to (additionally) show real names and not just the vm numbers in the rules list?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The old virtual machines are present in the unmapped virtual machines tab to allow an SP to go back and configure rules for past usage on virtual machines that are no longer present from the current or previous month if the vCenter Servers haven't changed.  So if its Novemvber and the SP wants to go back and track customer usage from July -- assuming the Usage Meter was running on 2.3.X or higher -- they would be able to assign that usage and track it with reasonable accuracy.

It makes sense to add an option to show only current virtual machines and will add that to the UI change request.

For the rules list, if you want to map based on vritual machine name instead of ID that can be performed using with "VM vCenter Server Name" or "VM DNS Name" by using a substring, regex, or exact string name for virtual machine.  The vCenter Server is no longer a factor here and the rules will apply to all vCenter Servers that are registered with vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
GunniO
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer!

I can follow your argument regarding the usage tracking, but when I look at the unmapped VMs I can see machines which I can see aswell in the mapped vm view.

The only difference is the Instance uuid, so I assume that the VMs habe been moved or renamed?

Any way to filter those?

Regarding the rules list: I just meant to add another row that combines eg. vm unique-id valur to a real name or cluster unique-id to a real name.

0 Kudos