VMware Cloud Community
yonish
Contributor
Contributor

Uage meter 3.3.2 and vc 5.5 u2

Hello,

Any one deployed and worked with "vc 5.5u2" and "usage meter 3.3.2" ? in the Interoperability matrix there is compatibility.

I created sr to vmware.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I'm looking into this for you.

I think 3.3.2 is a patch for shellshock, so it's basically 3.3.1 with some very minor changes.  Based on that, the interop testing of 3.3.1 predates the release of vCenter 5.5 update 2 ... this it just to explain why it's missing from the Interop Matrix.

0 Kudos
yonish
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks !!

It was my first impression as well, but in the "Interoperability Matrixes" version 3.2 - 3.3.2 are not committable with 5.5 u2.

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Anything that works in 3.3.1 works in 3.3.2. Except Shellshock exploits. :smileygrin:

We’ll get the matrix updated.

0 Kudos
vSergei
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on this? Can we install Update 2 for vCenter 5.5 without breaking vCloud Usage Meter 3.3.2? The compatibility matrix still doesn't have anything listed for U2.

I'd even be willing to update vCloud Usage Meter to 3.4 beta, but the release notes don't mention which versions of vCenter it supports. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Matt23220111014
Contributor
Contributor

vCloud Usage Meter 3.3.3 is the latest version and it doesn't appear as one of the listed versions in the Interoperability Matrix. Which I guess comes back to only having the JRE (3.3.3) and Bash (3.3.2) being updated in both so the "application" in the vCloud Usage Meter virtual appliance stayed the same and wasn't put through the same doco update processes as usual (purely conjecture on my part so take it with a grain of salt and I've no doubt these guys do a thorough job of testing and QA. And while I'm kissing up 😉  I put the VSPP on a licensing pedestal because of the vCloud Usage Meter and how much it simplifies things compared to the pain in SPLA and CSP).

The below are the only references I could find but nothing that clearly states, in black and white, that its supported. I can confirm that 3.3.2 works with vCenter 5.5u2 (after upgrading/migrating from 2.1) about 2 months ago. But I guess that only opens up the works vs supported debate rather than answering your question. We have only rolled out the 3.3.3 version to environments with vCenter 5.0u2 so I can't comment there.

In my experience these forums and the developers that post on them are the best support for vCloud Usage Meter. When we have run into issues I've found that our VSPP/VCAN Aggregator and even with our Production + Mission Critical Support (highest level of support VMware offers) guys are far from perfect (i.e. "have you tried turning it off and one again", or "just re-installed it and start collecting the data again"). Seems more inline with working around the problem rather than solving it. I usually fall back to checking the forums, looking at the community page, searching the KB, and working it out myself/ourselvess.

I have a bit of a go at the MCS guys here, vCloud Usage Meter isn't a mainstream products, when it comes to most of the other products that are more mainstream we use they are absolute guns and I have alot of respect for them.  

https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vcd/vcloud_usage_meter

Upgrade for Usage Meter 3.3.2 (2091184)

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2091184

Upgrade for Usage Meter 3.3.3 (2114239)

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2114239

Hopefully the above helps...but its still not a green tick on the Interoperability Matrix which is always nice but sometimes I've had to brave VMware products with out it..In that situation it may mean a slightly tougher job of convincing the support person that they should help you but its not usually are hard argument to win. A this point I'd refer back to my previous statement about support for vCloud Usage Meter being  little more DIY than usual anyway.

Then again it would be nice to see the vCloud Usage Meter appear somewhere on this document. But the support does come from the VSPP/VCAN agreement which isn't listed so that is probably the reason for that.

https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/support/Support-by-Product-Matrix.pdf

0 Kudos
vSergei
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for sharing that. "Appears to work, but may not be supported" is good enough for our case.

I went ahead and upgraded over the weekend as we've been having some stability issues with vCenter 5.5 U1, and I can confirm that vCloud Usage Meter is still able to communicate with 5.5 U2.

0 Kudos