We have deployed Usage Meter 2.3.2 - Build 692054.
When I log in to the web interface as the Service Provider and go to the Manage screen I can update all information EXCEPT the Service Provider information. I can enter the information and click on the "Save" button and it says in the top left "Service provider settings saved", however if I refresh the screen, or log out and log back in again the Service Provider fields are blank again.
At the time of a change there are only two entries in the um.log file:
2012-07-26 08:09:06,429 INFO ["http-bio-8443"-exec-9] usgmtr.RunState$: Changing state to ServiceProvider
2012-07-26 08:10:49,733 INFO ["http-bio-8443"-exec-13] usgmtr.RunState$: Changing state to Unspecified
2012-07-26 08:22:35,035 INFO ["http-bio-8443"-exec-6] usgmtr.RunState$: Changing state to ServiceProvider
2012-07-26 08:27:17,066 INFO ["http-bio-8443"-exec-9] usgmtr.RunState$: Changing state to Unspecified
2012-07-26 08:29:13,234 INFO ["http-bio-8443"-exec-11] usgmtr.RunState$: Changing state to ServiceProvider
Above was a test this morning (unfortunately I did not exactly time every action:
08:09 Set the Service provider and clicked on save.
08:10 Clicked on license tab and then back to manage and info was blank exited web console
08:22 Loaded Web console and set Service provider and clicked on save - stayed at that screen for 2 or 3 mins
08:24 Exited Web Console
08:27 Started web Console - info blank
08:29 existed Web Console.
Cannot guaranteee that the action times exactly match with the log file times.
Hi Just an update,
Looks like this might be a cosmetic thing.
Although the Service Provider Information is blank on the Management screen - the information does appear on the Automated Reports