VMware Cloud Community
kcwk
Contributor
Contributor

Problem adding outgoing Email Server Host on VCloud Usage Meter

Hi guys,

I was helping a client to configure Email Server Host on the VCloud Usage Meter and they seem to be having problem sending any mail out.

They have configured the email server host. However when they try to send a test email, there is an error. They have confirmed that the email server host name is correct and can be ping-ed. They can also telnet to the port 25 of the host name
The error message is
"javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response; nested exception is: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset"
I have attached a print screen and their log file. Any help is greatly appreaciated.

Warmest Regards,

Kenny

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi. Can they telnet from the Usage Meter VM? And can they hand type an SMTP conversation and have that work? (Yes, that’s asking a lot.)

Connection reset does very likely mean that the mail server closed the connection. Perhaps it didn’t like the credentials or something. Can you run tcpdump (or Wireshark or something) on the mail server and see just what the TCP/IP conversation is? Or look in the mail server log for clues?

Dave Briccetti (“Bric”)

Usage Meter developer

0 Kudos
kcwk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, we did not try telnet from the Usage Meter, but we tried it on the Vcenter that was hosting VCloud Usage Meter.

The cause cannot be found from the Log files?

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No, the exception tells me nothing other than that the mail server likely closed the connection.

Try the telnet from the Usage Meter VM.

0 Kudos
kcwk
Contributor
Contributor

hi i was trying to telnet just now, but sorry if its a noob question. How do i telnet using the vcloud usage meter vm.

In the console it does not recognise the telnet command.

Can you help me with the command, and give an example of the command. Thanks

0 Kudos
kcwk
Contributor
Contributor

Also to add, the email host is actually an exchange server, would that make any difference?

0 Kudos