VMware Cloud Community
vivekissar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not getting reports from Automatic Reporting functionality

We are working on configuring Automatic Reporting feature, but after configuring this functionality we are not able to get reports in aggrigator's mailbox.

We have configured two mail boxes; one for admin (from which ID mail should be sent) and another mailbox for Aggrigator (to whom mail should be sent). We have sent a test mail and its working fine, admin mailbox is able to receive all e-mails but in aggregator's mailbox there is no mails. we created two Automatic Reports with different reports and license sets but still aggrigator's mailbox is empty.

Please assist.

Thanks,

Vivek Issar

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi. Sorry I asked you for something you had already given me.

I just noticed on July 18th you said you created an auto report for reporting day 1. From that you should not get a report until Aug 1. If you want a report to be sent today, use today’s day of the month and then restart tomcat.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi. Can you find in the Usage Meter log where the mail is sent? If it says the mail was sent, then it very likely was accepted by the mail server. Perhaps there was an error after that. Can you look at the mail server logs?

0 Kudos
vivekissar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have tested all configuration by selecting "Send a test email alert after saving", we are receiving test emails in both To and From mailboxes. and all logs are fine.

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So you know that UM can send mail to your test mailbox, but do you know it can send to your aggregator?

By “all logs are fine” do you mean you found where Usage Meter is sending the automatic report, and it says the message was sent?

0 Kudos
vivekissar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are assuming that, to send automatic messages it uses SMTP settings provided in manage section of UM.

To test if aggregator id can receive email; we provided email ID of aggregator in Email Alerts "To Email" and selected "Send a test email alert after saving" and aggregator is receiving test email.

No other logs of any message failure was found on the mail server.

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

OK, that was a good test to do.

Some strings you might search for in the usgmtr um.log:

Successfully sent

The automatic report was created with no reports

Once the month’s report has been sent, it won’t be sent again. But you can delete the auto report and recreate it with a Reporting Day of today and it should go out at midnight, or right away if you restart UM:

service tomcat restart

0 Kudos
vivekissar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We tried tomcat restart and also UM server reboot. Still we are not receiving mails for Automatic Reporting. We have created report with "reporting day as 1"

Please find screenshots attached.

AWS-0752.pngAWS-0754.pngAWS-0756.png
And please guide where we can find "usgmtr.log" file.

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sorry, I gave you the wrong file name.

localhost:~ # ll /var/log/usgmtr/

total 4

-rw-r--r-- 1 usgmtr users 2760 Jul 18 17:31 um.log

Let's have a look at your um.log at the time you restarted Tomcat for messages about auto reporting.

0 Kudos
vivekissar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for the logs. I don’t see any clues.

Do you have anything here, on the Auto Reports page?

Last time report sent: 2013-07-03 09:23

0 Kudos
vivekissar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No we haven't seen anything unusual there on auto report page.

in the earlier reply we have already sent you the image of auto report page, or find it here again for your reference.

AWS-0754.png

In this image its saying "Please complete the configuration of the vCenter Operations Manager Server on the Manage page Products tab."

which we have configured already, below is the respective image.

Operations Manager in UM.png

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi. Sorry I asked you for something you had already given me.

I just noticed on July 18th you said you created an auto report for reporting day 1. From that you should not get a report until Aug 1. If you want a report to be sent today, use today’s day of the month and then restart tomcat.

0 Kudos
vivekissar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for your support and all time quick responses Smiley Happy.

We tried this work around and were able to generate the reports. We changed the system time of usage meter to 11:45 PM 31st of July and restarted tomcat server. it worked to get auto-generated email with the reports attached.

According to this we concluded that we can generate only monthly reports, the option shown in the page for 1 day, 2 day and so on, doesn't work.

Thanks again,

Vivek Issar

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, indeed. Automatic Reports is for monthly reports, and the “Reporting Day” is the day of the month on which the report is created and emailed (it has nothing to do with frequency).

Changing the time on Usage Meter is a frightening idea. I hope no collections ran while the time was wrong.

0 Kudos