VMware Cloud Community
ChrisRu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Monitoring the appliance

Hi,

does anybody know a way to monitor the appliance without going to the webpage? Is there any possibility to speak with an API or something else to track if a collection was done?

Thanks

Christian

0 Kudos
6 Replies
thomas_root1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Chris,

maybe this guide helps you:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-21317

Regards

Thomas

0 Kudos
ChrisRu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Thomas,

sorry for the late response. I've took a look to the pdf. But it didn't really address the Monitoring component.

Regards,

Christian

0 Kudos
robertdtaylor
Contributor
Contributor

We currently had a similar issue where the appliance was down and wasn't aware till the aggregator reports were not received. The vm was pingable but the SP UI was unreachable. Rebooted the appliance and its working now. The only way I can think of is to monitor the Successful/Failed collection email alerts but there must be a better way.

0 Kudos
jeremysaye
Contributor
Contributor

I am also looking for a way to monitor collections programmatically for v3.1. I have several usage meters installed, and it is not very practical to log into each UI regularly to check the "Monitor" page. The API doesn't seem to support this.

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi. This is unsupported and fragile, but you could have your monitoring tool ssh to the UMs and run something like this:

psql -U postgres usage_meter_db -c 'select * from "Collection" order by start desc limit 1;'

(Adjustments will have to be made depending on the UM version.)

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We very much want to know about any reliability issues. If you have any clues about the problems, you might send them to GSS, or to me.

0 Kudos