VMware Cloud Community
KevinClawson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Getting "javax.mail.MessagingException: Unknown SMTP host" and “No authentication mechansims supported by both server and client”

I get the above message when trying to send my test message. This did (and does) work with the old setup. Why would this have stopped working with the exact same settings? Is there something I need to change on the Usage Meter?

Message was edited by: dbriccetti

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The problem here was that user and password should not be specified for this SMTP server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
KevinClawson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I should specify that the old settings were 2.2 and I now having mail issues with 2.3

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi. It might be useful to use an IP address for the SMTP host, to rule out a DNS issue.

KevinClawson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That does help me fix it... sort of. It gives me a band aid where I can use and open relay, but I would prefer to use my actual mail server (Office 365, don't judge). It works on the old 2.2 version, but not on 2.3. They use the same DNS and everything. My assumption is that it's something in the new machine setup, but I dony know why

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What happens when you give the IP address of your “actual mail server”?

0 Kudos
KevinClawson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I get the same message

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Could you please send me (or GSS) your log file (the whole thing, or everything around the time of the error)? Thanks.

Dave Briccetti

dbriccetti@vmware.com

0 Kudos
KevinClawson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do I pull those logs from the vapp

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Easiest is from the webapp, on the Support page.

0 Kudos
KevinClawson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh, you mean the way to get almost any log files? I am an idiot LOL The log files are attached, thanks!

0 Kudos
KevinClawson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

By the way, I forced it to fail right before i made the log, so it should have the info right at the end

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I don’t see in that log where you are failing to connect to a mail server that you identified by IP address. If it’s there, can you give me a line number, otherwise send a log that shows the results of that? Thanks.

0 Kudos
KevinClawson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I didnt catch it before, but using the IP address gets this error:

No authentication mechansims supported by both server and client

But it still works in 2.2. Is there a difference in the accepted authentication methods? Is there something I might need to turn on?

-Kevin

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Well that’s a good clue to what might be going on. Are there any more details or context in the log? The stack traces might help us. Thanks for your help in solving this.

0 Kudos
KevinClawson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I keep testing it, using the IP address, but I dont see it showing up in the log. Is there a way to reset the logs so they gather new information? Just in case I am missing it, they are attached here.

0 Kudos
KevinClawson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did find this article:

http://www.coderanch.com/t/541704/java/java/Sending-Mail-via-SMTP-server

Is it possible that 2.3 is trying to use different ports than 2.2?

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It is in your log, on line 5511. Thanks.

Are you sure you entered the username and password in exactly the same form with 2.2 and 2.3? Do you need any DOMAIN\username or such, as this suggests: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1219404/exchange-server-will-not-accept-username-password-provide...

Are you equipped to sniff the port 25 TCP packets to your mail server from the 2.2 and 2.3 Usage Meters and compare them? That might get to the bottom of the problem.

Does your mail server have logs that would give more clues about the authentication problem?

0 Kudos
KevinClawson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am using the same credentials on both. Sadly, its an Office 365 so my logging options are limited. Any other ideas? Is this a different version of the Java mail client in 2.3 than 2.2?

Kevin Clawson

Lanlogic, Inc.

Systems Administrator

Email: kevin@Lanlogic.com<mailto:kevin@Lanlogic.com>

Phone: 925-273-2325

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I can't see that we’ve made any changes that could be a factor, Kevin.

Do you have to tell your mail server to allow connections from the new Usage Meter (by IP address)? Perhaps something in the mail server configuration is allowing the old but not the new.

You could install tcpdump or something on both usage meters to capture the working and failing mail traffic.

Dave

0 Kudos
denovojeff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am out of the office Friday 3/2/2012. For urgent issues, please contact the Service Desk.

Thank you,

Jeff

0 Kudos