VMware Cloud Community
MattGoddard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Filter out certain VMs from UM reporting?

We have v3.3.3 of the usage monitor. By default it reports on all VMs managed by the vCenter on which it's installed. I would like to filter out from the report the following types of VMs:

- Templates

- Powered off VMs

- Test VMs

To facilitate this, I moved all VMs that fit into one of the above categories into a folder called "Non-production". But after reading through the user guide, I don't see how to exclude that folder from UM reporting.

Can this be done? Alternatively, if this method is not possible, is there another method by which I can achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
moonsurfer68
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So let's see how we can go about this...

First off, VMs that are powered off and templates (always powered off) are not being metered in the vCLUM appliance so you don't have to worry about them.

As far as the test VMs, what business reason do you have to exclude these from vCLUM reporting? Basically, as long as you have a vCAN license applied to an ESXi host, then every VM running on said host should be metered in vCLUM and reported on.

If you have a test environment, then you need either perpetual or demo licenses applied to the ESXi hosts supporting the test environment. Then, you can go into your vCLUM web portal at the location shown below (Licenses/Billing Categories) and change the billing category for demo/perpetual license key listed accordingly. With this method, you'll be able to exclude the VMs you want from being included in your monthly usage reports.

Capture.PNG

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
moonsurfer68
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So let's see how we can go about this...

First off, VMs that are powered off and templates (always powered off) are not being metered in the vCLUM appliance so you don't have to worry about them.

As far as the test VMs, what business reason do you have to exclude these from vCLUM reporting? Basically, as long as you have a vCAN license applied to an ESXi host, then every VM running on said host should be metered in vCLUM and reported on.

If you have a test environment, then you need either perpetual or demo licenses applied to the ESXi hosts supporting the test environment. Then, you can go into your vCLUM web portal at the location shown below (Licenses/Billing Categories) and change the billing category for demo/perpetual license key listed accordingly. With this method, you'll be able to exclude the VMs you want from being included in your monthly usage reports.

Capture.PNG

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
MattGoddard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, that does help!

0 Kudos