VMware Cloud Community
1q2w3e4r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Exporting Report - Time doesn't make sense

Using vCloud Usage Meter v2.2

When I 'Browse' the Detailed Usage Report, the format of the time is 11 04:05:00, which is day 11 at 4:05am. Makes sense so far.

When I 'Export' the same report the time is in the format 1318266300358. How do I make sense of that?

Also how is Billing RAM calculated? I have 16000 samples and each and every one of the Billing RAM figures is simply half of the VM RAM. Is there more to it than this?

To test this, I added more vRAM to a VM, and the billing RAM also doubled even though the VM isn't actually using any more of the extra RAM

I need to construct a billing report by VM and by customer, which will in turn be used to charge my customers. So I need to ensure I'm getting this accurate.

From the sounds of it I could just divide my vRAM by 2, then divide the total by the amount I'm charged each month and not even worry about the usage meter reports?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The timestamp in the detailed billing report and detailed usage report is in ms since January 1, 1970.  Though the export of the billing reports was not initially meant to be processed by the end user, you can convert the linux machine timestamp format to a human readable format.  There are some examples on how to do this online depending on the application you are using.

Also how is Billing RAM calculated?

Billing RAM is calculated for each virtual machine at collection time, not at report time.  Starting in version 2.1, Billing vRAM was switch from allocated vRAM based, i.e. what the virtual machine was configured as, to reservation vRAM based with a minumum of 50% reservation.

Some examples:

If the virtual machine reserved vRAM is configured between 0-50% of allocated, the usage meter bills at a minimum of 50%.

Example 1:

Allocated vRAM: 4 GB

Reserved vRAM: 0 GB

Billing vRAM: 2 GB (min 50%)

Example 2:

Reserved vRAM: 1 GB

Billing vRAM: 2GB (min 50%)

Example 3:

Allocated vRAM: 4GB

Reserved vRAM: 2 GB

If the virtual machine reserved vRAM is configured between 51-100% of allocated, the usage meter bills at actual rate.

Example 4:

Reserved vRAM: 2.5 GB

Billing vRAM: 2.5 GB (min 50%)

Example 5:

Reserved vRAM: 3 GB

Billing vRAM: 3 GB (min 50%)

Example 6:

Reserved vRAM: 4 GB

Billing vRAM: 4 GB (min 50%)

If you are using vCloud Director in your service provider configuration, please be aware of the VDC allocation model that is being used by your customers and understand that Pay As You Go allocation models will default to 100% reserved vRAM unless changed by the service provider.  What that means is that unless modified, every virtual machine deployed will be running at 100% reserve vRAM and virtual machine usage will be billed similar to Example 6.

Also when using the Aggregate Billing Report, make sure you enter the Per VM Memory Cap of 24576 (24 GB) which the size limit that VMware bills against.  Your customers can deploy larger virtual machines, but VMware caps the size to charge against.  If there are any virtual machines larger than 24 GB, you would see a difference in the Total Aggregate vRAM and Total Billing vRAM where the Total Billing vRAM would be less.

Note:  The column names can be terribly confusing and we are addressing this plus other customer feedback in the next release planned for Q1-2012.  Please refer to the colums as Total Aggregate vRAM = Total Billed vRAM without Memory Cap and Total Billing vRAM = Total Billed vRAM with Memory Cap.  Also be aware the Aggregate Billing Report also has the reservation vRAM calculation already built in since it was factored in at collection time.  This report just shows raw GB usage per license type for the month.  You will still need to factor in the number of hours in the month and points per license type, but refer to you aggregators instructions on how to do that.

How are you using the usage meter to bill back your customers and are you not using vCenter Chargeback Manager?  The usage meter is designed for VMware to meter service provider usage and does not factor in other services and features that service providers enable for their customers?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The timestamp in the detailed billing report and detailed usage report is in ms since January 1, 1970.  Though the export of the billing reports was not initially meant to be processed by the end user, you can convert the linux machine timestamp format to a human readable format.  There are some examples on how to do this online depending on the application you are using.

Also how is Billing RAM calculated?

Billing RAM is calculated for each virtual machine at collection time, not at report time.  Starting in version 2.1, Billing vRAM was switch from allocated vRAM based, i.e. what the virtual machine was configured as, to reservation vRAM based with a minumum of 50% reservation.

Some examples:

If the virtual machine reserved vRAM is configured between 0-50% of allocated, the usage meter bills at a minimum of 50%.

Example 1:

Reserved vRAM: 0 GB

Example 2:

Reserved vRAM: 1 GB

Billing vRAM: 2GB (min 50%)

Example 3:

Reserved vRAM: 2 GB

If the virtual machine reserved vRAM is configured between 51-100% of allocated, the usage meter bills at actual rate.

Example 4:

Reserved vRAM: 2.5 GB

Billing vRAM: 2.5 GB (min 50%)

Example 5:

Reserved vRAM: 3 GB

Billing vRAM: 3 GB (min 50%)

Example 6:

Reserved vRAM: 4 GB

Billing vRAM: 4 GB (min 50%)

If you are using vCloud Director in your service provider configuration, please be aware of the VDC allocation model that is being used by your customers and understand that Pay As You Go allocation models will default to 100% reserved vRAM unless changed by the service provider.  What that means is that unless modified, every virtual machine deployed will be running at 100% reserve vRAM and virtual machine usage will be billed similar to Example 6.

Also when using the Aggregate Billing Report, make sure you enter the Per VM Memory Cap of 24576 (24 GB) which the size limit that VMware bills against.  Your customers can deploy larger virtual machines, but VMware caps the size to charge against.  If there are any virtual machines larger than 24 GB, you would see a difference in the Total Aggregate vRAM and Total Billing vRAM where the Total Billing vRAM would be less.

Note:  The column names can be terribly confusing and we are addressing this plus other customer feedback in the next release planned for Q1-2012.  Please refer to the colums as Total Aggregate vRAM = Total Billed vRAM without Memory Cap and Total Billing vRAM = Total Billed vRAM with Memory Cap.  Also be aware the Aggregate Billing Report also has the reservation vRAM calculation already built in since it was factored in at collection time.  This report just shows raw GB usage per license type for the month.  You will still need to factor in the number of hours in the month and points per license type, but refer to you aggregators instructions on how to do that.

How are you using the usage meter to bill back your customers and are you not using vCenter Chargeback Manager?  The usage meter is designed for VMware to meter service provider usage and does not factor in other services and features that service providers enable for their customers?

0 Kudos
1q2w3e4r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the detailed response.

We've only just started using the VSPP model and wasn't aware of Chargeback. We actually had a VMware guy come in and explain it all in detail so now we're on the right track.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos