VMware Cloud Community
AstraMonti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After upgrade from 3.0 to 3.2 monthly usage report failing

Hi all,

I 've have upgraded two seperate instances from 3 to 3.2, one worked fine, the other fails with this error:

Production of the Monthly Usage Report has failed: java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception while executing statement : ERROR: canceling statement due to user request errorCode: 0, sqlState: 57014 Select sum(capped("Sample2"."vmBillingMemory",?)) as "c0" From "SampleToLicense" "SampleToLicense1", "Sample" "Sample2", "Collection" "Collection3", "Vm" "Vm4", "HostLatest" "HostLatest5", "License" "License6" Where ((("SampleToLicense1"."vmId" in ((Select "CustomerVm9"."vmId" as "CustomerVm9_vmId" From "CustomerVm" "CustomerVm9", "CustomerVmRule" "CustomerVmRule10" Where (("CustomerVmRule10"."createdBy" = ?) and ("CustomerVm9"."customerVmRuleId" = "CustomerVmRule10"."id")) ) )) and ("SampleToLicense1"."start" between ? and ? and "SampleToLicense1"."reportExclusionReason" is null)) and ("SampleToLicense1"."sampleId" = "Sample2"."id")) jdbcParams:[24576,2,2014-01-01 00:00:00.0,2014-02-01 00:00:00.0]

Anything I can try?

thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
AstraMonti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure what changed, but I managed to get the report going, but it needs almost  5hours to complete while the cpu is completely pegged on the vm. Anything I can do?         

0 Kudos
jkasalzuma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi AstraMonti,

I had the same issue back at the beginning of December. after 2 months working with VMware Support, the fix was to clone out a copy of the UM for archival purposes and truncate the DB. Support provided me a script to run that truncated the DB for me and once complete it worked as it did in 3.1.

I would open a case with Support. I would recommend exporting the UM appliance and upload it to them. I went back and forth for two months with scripts they wanted to run. Kind of a waste of time so I finally uploaded the whole VM for them to mess with.

Hope this helps.

Joe

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi. 3.2 has a Delete Old Data feature on the support page. That should speed things up.

Dave Briccetti

Lead developer, vCloud Usage Meter

0 Kudos
AstraMonti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

What is considered old data? how many months back?

Thank you

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Assuming your reporting is current, you might delete (after backing up to comply with VSPP data retention requirements) all but the last 60 days or so.

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It’s a mistake for us to display that huge error message. We should simply say that the previous report was canceled because a new one was started.

0 Kudos
AstraMonti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If that's in response to the first post I have to say that I kept getting that error even after a clean reboot, some lock maybe in the db? I still get it randomly and the delete old files did not speed things up. I think the easiest thing for me now is to wait 4-5 hours to get the report for February and spin up a new vm to start fresh for March.

0 Kudos
dbriccetti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I’m very curious to know if we have fixed the problems you are experiencing with 3.3. If you still have them in the 3.3 beta, there may be time for us to correct problems before 3.3 GA.

https://my.vmware.com/en/group/vmware/get-download?downloadGroup=UMSV33-BETA

0 Kudos