VMware Cloud Community
chadmichael
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

verification of vShield Manager to vCenter registration

I'm installing the vShield Manager appliance into my "evaluation" vSphere/vCloud environment.  Working from the vShield Quickstart document [1], the vCenter configuration section says to verify the configuration by going into "the vSphere Client, select an ESX host, and verify that the vShield appears as a tab". 

First of all, I use the vSphere Web Client, not the client app, so where would this "tab" be in that UI? 

Next, just to check, I went into the client app, and I couldn't find the tab anyway. 

HOWEVER, when I go into the vShield web interface, I see the data centers from my vCenter in the "inventory tree" on the left side; so it does kind of seem that the vCenter was successfully registered. 

ALSO, is there some interface in the vCloud Director for controlling the vShield?

Can someone provide insight into these issues?  Thanx!

1 http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vshield_51_quickstart.pdf

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm installing the vShield Manager appliance into my "evaluation" vSphere/vCloud environment.  Working from the vShield Quickstart document [1], the vCenter configuration section says to verify the configuration by going into "the vSphere Client, select an ESX host, and verify that the vShield appears as a tab".

First of all, I use the vSphere Web Client, not the client app, so where would this "tab" be in that UI?

There is no such tab for the Web Client, that "functionality" (which isn't really adding anything useful) is provided by a vSphere Client Plugin.

You can check the vCenter Server Extensions list in the Web Client, which should list your vShield manager like in this attached example image.

Next, just to check, I went into the client app, and I couldn't find the tab anyway.

Make sure the vShield Manager plugin is enabled in the vSphere Client.

HOWEVER, when I go into the vShield web interface, I see the data centers from my vCenter in the "inventory tree" on the left side; so it does kind of seem that the vCenter was successfully registered.

If that's the case then yes, the connection between the vShield Manager and vCenter is fine.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There is no such tab for the Web Client, that "functionality" (which isn't really adding anything useful) is provided by a vSphere Client Plugin.

You can check the vCenter Server Extensions list in the Web Client, which should list your vShield manager like in this attached example image.

Make sure the vShield Manager plugin is enabled in the vSphere Client.

If that's the case then yes, the connection between the vShield Manager and vCenter is fine.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos