VMware Cloud Community
MarkSAHL
Contributor
Contributor

vShield / vCloud Director Help

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone here can assist me. I've installed and configured vCD and am in the process of setting up the networks.

I've created an External Network and a network pool that is connected to a vDistributed Switch.

When I try and setup an Organisation Network, a port group is created in the vDS and a vShield OVF template is deployed and reconfigured automatically then the following error is shown in the task area:

Power On virtual machine
No host is compatible with the virtual machine.

The VM is then deleted as well as the port group mentioned above.

The following error is then shown in vCD:

Cannot Create Network

Failed to initialize shield appliance
- HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Code : 70510, Description : Unable to power on vShield Edge VM

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sorabhk5
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

First 2 things to check would be if this is a license or connectivity issue.

Check this KB: 2010225

All opinions expressed here are my personal opinions and not of my employer. Thanks #Sorabh [[ http://sorabhk5.in or @sorabhk5 ]]
MarkSAHL
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply and the link.

I double checked both your sugesstions. The license key assigned to us has been correctly installed and assigned to the vShield VM appliance, although under the Manager interface, I cannot see an option to install vShield Edge in the Host Preparation Status Screen, on App, Endpoint and Data Security, none of which we have a license for (only evaluation). Should there be an option to install Edge for vShield 5?

I tested connectivity between the vShield Manager Appliance and the ESXi Host, all is working correctly.

0 Kudos
jstick1122
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The option to install vShield edge is not under hosts and clusters. Using the drop down box(top left corner)you select 'Networks' instead of hosts and clusters. Then an Edge tab will appear and that is where you install/configure vShield Edge. After it is installed you can select 'Secured port groups' option in that same drop down box to view only the port groups that are protected by an Edge device.

I would try two things.

1. Try and deploy an Edge device from VC to a host without vCD

2. I would verify that port 902/903 are open between the vSM and the ESX(i) hosts.

0 Kudos