VMware Cloud Community
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vShield Manager placement - documentation clarification required

I am in the process of deploying vShield Manager in our test and dev environment (before we implement in production).

I have been reading the documentation "vShield Installation and Upgrade Guide - vShield Manager 5.1". On page 20 the following statement is made:

NOTE Do not place the management interface of the vShield Manager in the same port group as the Service Console and VMkernel.

Question:

Is it OK for the vShield Manager to be in the same subnet and VLAN as the Service Console and VMkernel, using a dedicated port group?

For example I create another port group that has the same VLAN as the Service Console and VMkernel and the vShield Manager uses this?

Let me elaborate with an example.

On page 19 the following statement is made:

With vShield 5.0 and later, you can install the vShield Manager in a different vCenter than the one that the vShield Manager will be interoperating with. A single vShield Manager serves a single vCenter Server environment.

vCenter1

• This is the vCenter that the vShield Manager will be deployed to
  • It is using the portgroup "Management Network" with the VLAN 18 for the Service Console and VMkernel
  • It is on the subnet 192.168.10.0/24

vShield Manager

• This vShield Manager is running under vCenter 1
  • It is using the portgroup "Management Network for vShield Manager ONLY" with the VLAN 18
  • This is where the management interface of the vShield Manager will be running

vCenter2

• This is the vCenter that the vShield Manager will be interoperating with
  • It is a VM running under vCenter1
  • It is using the portgroup "Management Network" with the VLAN 18 for the VM traffic

So my question again:

Is it OK for the vShield Manager to be in the same subnet and VLAN as the Service Console and VMkernel, using a dedicated port group?

VCP3 & VCP4 32846 VSP4 VTSP4
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, it is fine to have the Manager on the same VLAN as the vmkernel interfaces.    Based on your description below you will be just fine and are actually following the practice properly.

Not sure why the docs say not to put it in the same portgroup as the vmkernel or service console as those are special portgroups and you cannot put a VM (the Manager) in a vmkernel or service console portgroup.   I'll have our docs people check on that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, it is fine to have the Manager on the same VLAN as the vmkernel interfaces.    Based on your description below you will be just fine and are actually following the practice properly.

Not sure why the docs say not to put it in the same portgroup as the vmkernel or service console as those are special portgroups and you cannot put a VM (the Manager) in a vmkernel or service console portgroup.   I'll have our docs people check on that.

0 Kudos
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks very much for your quick response rrandell.

I was pretty sure I was going down the right path, just wanted to be 100% sure.

VCP3 & VCP4 32846 VSP4 VTSP4
0 Kudos
brandon9neill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

rrandell,

Any word on why this is in the documentation?  It seems to go all the way back to vShield 1.0 documentation.  It is actually possible to put the vShield manager interface in the same portgroup if you are using a distributed switch.  The whole phrasing of that statement doesn't make sense however, It seems to be an artifact that no one knows what it means or why it is there.  It has even made it in to the vCNS 5.1 training materials.

0 Kudos