VMware Cloud Community
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vShield Manager, network interface & port group / vlan

Hello:

I am new to vShield and looking at using it in our environment.  I've read the documentation and am looking at installing the first piece, the vShield Manager appliance.  In reading the docs, it specifically states the management interface for the vShield Manager being in its own port group.  Why is this?  Is it OK to put this interface in an existing port group?  Can it be in a port group with other management VMs (i.e. vCenter, etc)?  Also, is it best practice to have this in a standard vs. dvswitch, or does it not matter?  I've been looking through posts and the other docs and so far I don't see a clear reason why it has to be in its own port group.

So far the only component we will be looking at is vShield Endpoint, for now.  We don't have any plans to look at App or Edge, etc.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SRoland
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

The manager can be put on any of the standard or distributed port-groups. You don't have to create any new port-groups.The only thing which is required to access (network-wise) to vCenter/SSO and DNS, NTP servers.

There is no need to create a new one. IMHO that might be a miss in the doc.

Regards,

//Roland

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SRoland
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

The manager can be put on any of the standard or distributed port-groups. You don't have to create any new port-groups.The only thing which is required to access (network-wise) to vCenter/SSO and DNS, NTP servers.

There is no need to create a new one. IMHO that might be a miss in the doc.

Regards,

//Roland

0 Kudos
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

OK thanks.  I was hoping that was the case and makes most sense to me but wanted to check so we aren't having to circle back around and change the config after we deploy the solution.

0 Kudos