VMware Cloud Community
DarrenMacK
Contributor
Contributor

new problem during installation "maximum number of characters permitted"

Doing an eval of vShield (and eventually Edge) and am having some problems.  On Friday this board helped me figure out that I was attempting to install it in the wrong spot.  Now I got Manager installed and m able to add the App to a host.  But when I try to install the Endpoint, I get the error:

'UserVars.vshieldVsmConnection-Info' is invalid or exceeds the maximum number of characters permitted.

To what is this referring?  It is referring to Connection-Info, but in what?  Nothing has a name out of the ordinary, and in fact, the longest named connection variable (that I can find) is the default "VM network" on one of the interfaces.

12 Replies
Veronica2011101
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same exact error message and can't figure out how to resolve it to install vShield Endpoint. At the end of the installation, I get the following error:

vshield endpoint installation encountered error while installing vib

0 Kudos
jstick1122
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What are the ESX/ESXi and VC versions?

0 Kudos
DarrenMacK
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1, VC 5.0, VS 5.0.

0 Kudos
Veronica2011101
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 4.1, VC 4.1, and VS 4.1 here

0 Kudos
jstick1122
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I tested this in my Lab which has 4.1 U1 installed and I hit the same problem. After installing patch 3 everything installed as expected.

In the quick start guide it explains that ESX/ESXi have to be at patch 03 for vShield endpoint 5.0 to install.

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vshield_50_quickstart.pdf    page 13

If you look in the esxupdate.log in ESX you should see the error below:

[2011-09-20 15:46:51]   DEBUG:       scan: # of elems in requiredby = 718
[2011-09-20 15:46:51]   ERROR:  esxupdate: An esxupdate error exception was caught:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/esxupdate", line 257, in ?
    cmd.Run()
  File "/usr/lib/vmware/python2.4/site-packages/vmware/esx45update/cmdline.py", line 245, in Run
    noconflicts=noconflicts, installdeps=False)
  File "/usr/lib/vmware/python2.4/site-packages/vmware/esx45update/Transaction.py", line 721, in run
    deps = self.solve(**solverkwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/vmware/python2.4/site-packages/vmware/esx45update/Transaction.py", line 486, in solve
    deps = solver.Resolve()
  File "/usr/lib/vmware/python2.4/site-packages/vmware/esx45update/depsolver.py", line 532, in Resolve
    raise errors.DependencyError(problems)
DependencyError: No VIB provides 'vmkvsepapi_2.0.0.0' (required by cross_epsec-mux_5.0.0-447150)
No VIB provides 'vmkuservsepapi_2.0.0.0' (required by cross_epsec-mux_5.0.0-447150)
[2011-09-20 15:47:43]   DEBUG:       lock: Lock file /var/run/esxupdate.pid created with PID 10114
[2011-09-20 15:47:44]    INFO:        cos: vsish command /usr/sbin/vsish cannot be found

0 Kudos
Veronica2011101
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for the assistance. I updated to Patch 3 last night and was able to successfully install vShield Endpoint this morning. THANK YOU!

0 Kudos
DJCHOTUS
Contributor
Contributor

I have this with ESX 5 too!

ESX5, VC 5 and Shield 5

EDIT

'UserVars.VshieldVsmConnectionInfo' is invalid or exceeds the maximum number of characters permitted.

I've already installed the 2 updates that apparently fix this issue.

0 Kudos
DJCHOTUS
Contributor
Contributor

See pic below for versions 

0 Kudos
Mouhamad
Expert
Expert

Hello DJCHOTUS,

What did you exactly update? the host that is running the appliance?

I have it runing on 5.1 host and still getting the same error.

Regards,

VCP-DCV, VCP-DT, VCAP-DCD, VSP, VTSP
0 Kudos
zlyles
Contributor
Contributor

Mouhamad

If you are running ESXi 5.1, you need to download "vCloud Networking and Security 5.1".  5.0 will only work with 4.1 and 5.0 realeases of vCenter & ESXi.

iamxCPx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

zlyles answered the question. Smiley Happy

I had the same issue and follow zlyles instruction to get what I need.

Unfortunately I clicked on the VMware link for vShield under all download and that wasn't the correct link.

I had to go to Essential Plus link and found "vCloud Networking and Security 5.1".

I'm not sure why VMware didn't put it under vShield product. They might have a reason for it but it's confusing for sure.

0 Kudos
RedDawg_1100
Contributor
Contributor

Same for me... zlyles nailed it.  Seems confusing the way the downloads are broken out.  Once I got the correct product, all is good.

0 Kudos