VMware Cloud Community
JSmith79
Contributor
Contributor

VMs must be on same physical host as vShield

Hi Everyone,

We have a vSphere 5.0.1 Ent Plus environment, using vCloud director for customers to self-provision cloud servers, etc.

vDS are used in vSphere, and the switching hardware is Cisco 3560 / 2960 switches.  Switch ports for VM network traffic are trunked and seem to be working properly.

When I create a vDC, I create an external network, which deploys the vShield device....no big deal there.

When i create a VM, if it ends up being hosted on the same physical host as the vShield VM, there are no problems.  Network connectivity is fine....NAT works, DHCP works, etc.

The problem is, if I create a VM, or vMotion a VM to a different physical host, different than the physical host the vShield VM resides on, I lose network connectivity to that VM.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JSmith79
Contributor
Contributor

Ended up fixing this myself but thought I'd go ahead & put the answer here for anyone that needs it later.

For the network pool, I had a VLAN ID that wasn't present on my Cisco switches.  Because of this, VMs and vSheild devices on the same host were communicating properly, but when going from VMHost to VMHost, the traffic needs to ride on that VLAN across the switches.

Added that VLAN and bingo...everything communicating properly.

0 Kudos