VMware Cloud Community
--Norton--
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCDNI Driving me nuts!!!!!!!

Hi All

I have read conflicting articles on host Network teaming and VCDNI configurations.

All my hosts are configured as IP HASH load balancing with Active Active NICs

I am trying to setup VCDNI but cannot talk cross host within VCD 5.1

I have checked the VLAN is sound on the switches by creating aportgroup and putting 2 VMs on it directly and then pinging cross host using them so I am happy that the VLAN is good.

I have also as a matter of course dropped the hosts out of VCD and prepared them again after a reboot but this has made no difference.

I have tried all manner of different settings on the created portgroups to try to get them to work and still nothing.

I am convinced this has worked in the past on other systems so am I missing something??

I have read articles stating that Active Active teaming on the host is not supported but other articles where it is so I'm none the wiser in that department.

Has anyone configured Active Active IP HASH at the host and VCDNI within VCD and if so what were your settings incase I have missed something

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
showard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is the MTU set to 1524 end-to-end?   What kind of switches are you using?

0 Kudos
--Norton--
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Sean

The MTU is set to 9000 across the board. They are Cisco switches

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I thought that vCNI only makes port groups with a single active uplink, and the rest are standby.  If both NICs were active, then the guests spanning hosts might see duplicate packets.  This is due to the use of multicast/broadcast across the VLAN.

I think it also creates the port groups based on originating virtual port, and it's key to have the same uplink active on each host in the correct order.

Aside from that the VLAN needs to be trunked correctly to all ports on the DvS and an MTU>1524, that's it.

I used the terms think/thought since I don't have a kit to verify against right now.

0 Kudos