VMware Cloud Community
stjeanl1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Uninstalling vShield Data Security fails

Hi,

I am unable to uninstall vShield Data Security on one of my ESXi host in my Test 2-node cluster.

vCenter - 5.0.0 build 455964

vShield Manager 5

Server1 - ESXi 5.0.0 474610

Server2 - ESXi 5.0.0 474610

On Server1 I cannot uninstall vShield Data Security, I receive the following error; vShield Data Security uninstallation encountered error while deactivating solution.

I can uninstall App and Endpoint on this host but not Data Security.  I did have a struggle with Server2 uninstalling App but I managed to uninstall all three components in the end but I am sturggling with Server1 and I might just decided to rebuild it.

Has anyone seen this issue?

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sorabhk5
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No, haven't seen this issue before.

I even tried to reproduce this at my end but uninstall worked fine.

ScreenShot00024.pngScreenShot00025.png

Can you check/try the following:

---------------------------------------------

- When you start the un-install does the "Update Option values" task completes successfully.

- Would it be possible for you to check for logs on VSM CLI -- "show manager log follow". Share if you see something unusual or any error message

- Also check if the network/communication is not broken between VSM, ESX host and data security virtual appliance

All opinions expressed here are my personal opinions and not of my employer. Thanks #Sorabh [[ http://sorabhk5.in or @sorabhk5 ]]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sorabhk5
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No, haven't seen this issue before.

I even tried to reproduce this at my end but uninstall worked fine.

ScreenShot00024.pngScreenShot00025.png

Can you check/try the following:

---------------------------------------------

- When you start the un-install does the "Update Option values" task completes successfully.

- Would it be possible for you to check for logs on VSM CLI -- "show manager log follow". Share if you see something unusual or any error message

- Also check if the network/communication is not broken between VSM, ESX host and data security virtual appliance

All opinions expressed here are my personal opinions and not of my employer. Thanks #Sorabh [[ http://sorabhk5.in or @sorabhk5 ]]
0 Kudos
stjeanl1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for answering me.

I have been able to uninstall Data Security by following these steps in order.  I tried the uninstall after each step and the third step was successful.      

1- Configure eth0 on the Data Security appliance with a routable address.

2- Install vShield Endpoint on the host

3- Configure the proxy settings of the Data Security appliance.

I re-installed Data Security and was able to uninstall it again but without configuring the proxy settings so I am not entirely sure what actually did resolve my issue.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
sorabhk5
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Glad to be of help and good that uninstall worked for you.

What's confusing me is   

1- Configure eth0 on the Data Security appliance with a routable address. -- thats OK

2- Install vShield Endpoint on the host -- first screesnhot you shared already mentioned that endpoint was installed?

3- Configure the proxy settings of the Data Security appliance.

I  re-installed Data Security and was able to uninstall it again but  without configuring the proxy settings so I am not entirely sure what  actually did resolve my issue.

So far the issue seems have been related with commuincation failure between the SVA[Data Security], VSM and ESX host.

Also if you added hosts in VCenter with hostname [instead of IP] then DNS can be one of the issue

0 Kudos
stjeanl1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I mentioned I installed Endpoint because I had uninstalled it to see if that was the problem.  Since I was still unable to uninstall Data Security I reinstalled Endpoint.

I've been trying to reproduce the problem but I can't, each time I can successfully uninstall Data Security.  I thought the appliance needed to be running and accessbile (according to your last reply there needs to be communications between appliance, VSM and host) but I was to uninstall it while the appliacnce was turned off so I am unsure what the problem could be at this point and I have no more time to invest in researching this issue.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos