VMware Cloud Community
chadmichael
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Understanding Options on Org vDC Network Creation Wizard

I'm trying to understand how to create my org vDC Network.  I have an edge device for the org and I want to create a org network that is NAT'd behind the gateway. 

The first screen of the wizard is obvious, but the second screen "Configure Network" has some stuff I just don't understand.

1) Gateway Address?  What's this?  I assume it means the internal facing NIC on the edge device, but how do I know what that IP is.  I don't think I configured it or anything.  The evaluation guide that I'm following shows 10.0.0.1 for this . . . is this an arbitrary choice?  Is it the default? 

2) Static IP range? 

Again the evaluation guide shows allocation of clients 100 - 199 in the 10.x.x.x network, but I don't know if this is a default?  Or just a placeholder?  How do I decide what to put?

Thanks in advance,

CHad

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are technically 3 Org Network types (really 2, and one that's a variation on the two).

1. Direct External Org Network

If you put a VM onto this, it goes directly onto the External network.  It takes an IP from the external pool, and just runs with it.

2. Isolated Org Network

You basically "make up" a network.  This will not have external access ... if you attach a VM to this network, it can communicate with any other VM on this exact network.

3. Routed Org Network

it's like #2, but with a vShield Gateway that would be created.  This vShield edge would perform the functions of your "default gateway".  Think of this as a large private network, or a massive N:1 NAT.

If you just want to give a bunch of people internet access, you can put VMs on here and make a Firewall rule to allow all outbound traffic and put it through a single IP (which would come from your external network).

RE: 1 - this is a value inside the network you are defining.  let's say we want our gateway to be 10.150.10.1 on a /23 ... when you create the network the gateway will have an internal IP of 10-.150.10.1

RE: 2 - this is just a range to assign out to VMs put onto the network.  say 10.150.10.100 - 10.150.254.  These will become IPs which vCloud will delegate to a VM's NIC card as they are created.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are technically 3 Org Network types (really 2, and one that's a variation on the two).

1. Direct External Org Network

If you put a VM onto this, it goes directly onto the External network.  It takes an IP from the external pool, and just runs with it.

2. Isolated Org Network

You basically "make up" a network.  This will not have external access ... if you attach a VM to this network, it can communicate with any other VM on this exact network.

3. Routed Org Network

it's like #2, but with a vShield Gateway that would be created.  This vShield edge would perform the functions of your "default gateway".  Think of this as a large private network, or a massive N:1 NAT.

If you just want to give a bunch of people internet access, you can put VMs on here and make a Firewall rule to allow all outbound traffic and put it through a single IP (which would come from your external network).

RE: 1 - this is a value inside the network you are defining.  let's say we want our gateway to be 10.150.10.1 on a /23 ... when you create the network the gateway will have an internal IP of 10-.150.10.1

RE: 2 - this is just a range to assign out to VMs put onto the network.  say 10.150.10.100 - 10.150.254.  These will become IPs which vCloud will delegate to a VM's NIC card as they are created.

0 Kudos
chadmichael
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

First of all, I appreciate all of your help.  Thanks!  I'm a bit of a gumbie on the networking stuff, and new to the vmware world as well. 

2. Isolated Org Network

I understand the isolated network concept pretty well.  How is the IP allocation handled?  I guess you can probably assign them yourselves, or install a dhcp service? 

3. Routed Org Network

So, I can define the subnet address and the gateway specific IP however I like.  I guess one of the reserved private subnet spaces are typical? 

So the vCloud will handle IP config for me?  If I choose not to specify a range, can the vCloud just use all of the ones from the subnet?

0 Kudos