VMware Cloud Community
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UNinstall of endpoint thinagent hangs

We tried to uninstall the endpoint thinagent whilst troubleshooting with Trend, this worked fine on desktops but it hung on a 2003 and 2008 R2 server. Even if you tired to press cancel it did not respond. In the end we had to restart the server, however when you try and reinstall it it says it already exists and cannot continue yet is not listed in add/remove programs. How can we force a reinstall?

@timgleed | VCAP5-DCA/DCD | VCAP4-DCA/DCD | VCP5 | VCP4 | VCP3 | VCP4-DT | VCA4-DT | VTSP4 | MCITP | PRINCE2 | ITIL | BSc Hons
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hopefully this may help someone:

The drivers are kept in

Program Files\VMware\vShield Endpoint\Drivers\VFileScsiFilter
Program Files\VMware\vShield Endpoint\Drivers\VFileFilter

and also placed into

System32\Drivers\vfilefilter.sys
System32\Drivers\vfilescsifilter.sys

where they are reference by the registry entries. This is the procedure I received from VMware to remove Endpoint Thinagent should it fail to uninstall properly:

Hi Tim,

Here are the keys that need to be removed from the Registry:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VFileFilter

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VFileScsiFilter

On top of these two entries two more things need to be removed from the registry. Select "HKLM\SYSTEM\" then clicked "CTRL+F" (find) and searched for the "vfile" string. You should find the vfileScsiFilter mentioned as a lower filter to disk driver class. The registry REG_MULTI_SZ value name is "LowerFilters". Edit it, and remove VFileScsiFilter from the list (probably it will be the only one in the list). Then there will be a LEGACY_VFILEFILTER key. You will need to add a permission to delete this key to whatever user you are logged in as (only SYSTEM has a permission to delete this key by default). After you add the permission you should delete this key.

I would do this for all control sets (CurrentControlSet and whatever other control sets you can find these keys/values).

Message was edited by: Vodder

@timgleed | VCAP5-DCA/DCD | VCAP4-DCA/DCD | VCP5 | VCP4 | VCP3 | VCP4-DT | VCA4-DT | VTSP4 | MCITP | PRINCE2 | ITIL | BSc Hons
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I'd also suggest taking a snapshot first in case you forget something .... I'd hate to BSOD a box because something gets over looked and have a manual recovery process.

0 Kudos
marclainez
Contributor
Contributor

this is really helpful...

maybe a little off-topic but anyway i will shoot my question concerning epsec driver.

i haven't tried this yet, but i read somewhere that the latest version of epsec will have a different driver name and filenames.

Have you guys encountered it?

Something like vsepfilter and vsepscsifilter... can you confirm this?

MacLab Online
0 Kudos