VMware Cloud Community
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trend Micro Deep Security or Kaspersky?

I'm currently evaluating Deep Security, and so far I like it, however I'm curious about the Kaspersky offering.  We are currently a Kaspersky customer on workstations (albeit not too happy with their update that corrupted some installs recently).  Has anyone used their virtual appliance and have experience with it?

Thx

0 Kudos
5 Replies
N1tro
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.  Stick with deep security, it's more refined and Trend have a far better history with updates than Kaspersky. I signed up for an eval version of KS and it was prolematic from the word go, then just knocked it on the head. It uses an agent which is installed in additon to vmware tools which Deep Security uses the vmci / shield components built in to vmware tools.  This is one of the key points to Deep Security, your DSVA protects VMs at the hypervisor level, and as long as you have vmware tools (with the correct components installed) you are onto a good thing - the vms can bounce between ESXi hosts and as long as they have a DSVA you have protction.

One thing I have not seen anything of is the removal of the kaspersky agent - what does it leave behind!

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am looking at similar products, not that I have many to choose from, but doesn't symantec have a similar appliance for this? 

So far the Trend one looks the best...  We run KAS on our desktops and servers now but I am trying to steer our security team away from fat clients on our VM's and go with the appliances.  Is the protection just as good if not better than a full AV install?

0 Kudos
LaPage
Contributor
Contributor

Symantec do have an offering, but this requires an agent - Deep security is the only solution to just use vmware tools, you dont need an additional components on the vms (be careful when a vendor says it is agentless protection - it's not!).

the protection is the same, it uses the same pattern file definitions for Deep Security that are used in Officescan - as long as your policies are configured correctly you will be fine

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great, thanks!

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

RUN do not walk AWAY from Kaspersky, by far the worst company on the planet for customer service/tech support.

Basically they have no tech support. Open up a ticket and you might get a response (email only no one will EVER call you) days,weeks and/or months later with irrelevant steps to fix your problem. I cannot stress enough to STAY AWAY FROM KASPERSKY.

We made the mistake and will not be renewing our licenses, we are going to Trend Deep Security. We are literally counting down the days to our license expiration.

Don't want to take my word for it go look on their own forums of the scores and scores of business customers complaining about the same thing. Some people have reported having a ticket open for YEARS with no resolution.

Learn from my mistake you've been warned!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos