VMware Cloud Community
BrianMitchellTX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Routing between vApps in the same ORG

Am I correct in understanding that the only way to route between vApps in the same ORG is by manually creating static routes?

I do have static routing options under the vApp networks but not under the ORG networks. The documentation says there should be a static routing tab but the only tab I have is DHCP. Is there a step I missed somewhere?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
showard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ahh ok, if its Isolated, you can't do that stuff.  Do the docs specifically say you can with an org net of that type?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
showard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you're looking at the Configure Services page for an Org network, you should have DHCP, NAT, Firewall, Static Routing, VPN, and Load Balancer tabs.  If you don't, your account must be missing a permission somewhere.  Are you an Org Admin?

0 Kudos
BrianMitchellTX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am logged on as the vCloud Administrator so hopefully all the rights are there. If I create a routed network then I do have all the tabs, just not for an isolated one...I've attached a screenshot. I can create the routes in vShield but in a production world that would be rather impractical.

Screenshot.jpg

0 Kudos
showard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ahh ok, if its Isolated, you can't do that stuff.  Do the docs specifically say you can with an org net of that type?

0 Kudos
BrianMitchellTX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No it doesn't...when I went back and double checked the diagrams and procedures it definitely mentions routed networks. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. This makes me wonder what useful purpose an isolated ORG network serves since it really can't be used to connect vApps.

0 Kudos
showard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Honestly I don't see them used much.  I have used them a few times for out-of-band stuff.  So like inside an Org you'd have a "tools" vApp with some kind of backup or antivirus thing that needs to hit all VMs in all vApps inside that Org on a non-routable "backdoor" network.  Then all VMs everywhere hook straight up to it with a secondary NIC.