VMware Cloud Community
AlexTheBoss
Contributor
Contributor

Rant: Underdocumentation

I just feel like a general rant.  I have to say that vCloud Networking and Security is by far the most under-documented VMWare product I have ever gotten my hands on.  Just about everything that I have learned has been from trial and error.  Anyone else have similar sentiments?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
amatt240
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I completely agree!

They don't even list what each size vShield is, nor have they updated the maximums info for 5.5.

Lots and lots of guessing and checking on my end! We love the product now, and it is very well performing, but good luck finding out about features, best practices, or what settings do.

0 Kudos
mcfadyenj
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

perhaps your reading the wrong doco.

check out the VCAT 3.0 doco. this explains a lot of the networking options in detail.

also check out this series (you never mentioned what version you are on)

I will take a stab and guess at 5.1 in which case this series I found unbeatable.

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2013/05/vxlan-series-how-vtep-learns-and-creates-forwarding-table-pa...

0 Kudos
DWesolowski
Contributor
Contributor

I'll definitely take a look through that Blog Series. Looks like it can definitely contain some useful information.

I am in the same boat as the first 2 posts, however. This product is documented so lightly, that even finding how to configure anything requires days worth of Web Searching. The best documents aren't even part of the standard product documentation AND THESE ARE VMWARE DOCS!!!

This guide is probably the definitive reference that I've seen when it comes to telling you what to do and at least some of why as well. Otherwise, the user is pretty much on their own.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMware-VXLAN-Deployment-Guide.pdf

Specifically, I'm interested in understanding EXACTLY how to configure VXLAN across the Layer-3 boundary. Does ANYONE have ANY documentation on this? It is briefly touched upon in the link I provided above, but other than a small, and from my perspective, incomplete section, there is almost no information about it.

0 Kudos